[robotics-worldwide] Software Applications Position Open at Barrett (Rosanne Kramer <rk at barrett.com>)

William T. Townsend wt at barrett.com
Fri Aug 12 15:17:14 PDT 2011

Software Application Engineer Position Open at Barrett Technology
(Rosanne Kramer <rk at barrett.com>)

Position Overview: The Software Application Engineer will be an
integral member of a small cross-disciplinary engineering team that
is responsible for supporting and improving upon Barrett Technology's
existing line of robotic products as well as developing and
integrating future products. We are looking for a well-rounded
individual who excels at software architecture design, intuitive GUI
programming, and personal communication.

The applicant should be able to stay organized and on task, work well
with little oversight, and be willing to take initiative and act upon
new ideas.

Specific responsibilities include the following:
    * Regularly attend tradeshows and academic conferences worldwide,
demonstrating and explaining our products
    * Listen to the needs of professionals in new markets and develop
application software to demonstrate how effective our products can be
in those markets
    * Collaborate with mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineers
in the development and testing of our robotic systems
    * Answer highly technical software-related customer support
emails and phone calls on a daily basis
    * Update and maintain product user manuals online using feedback
from customers and internal engineering changes
    * Perform robot installations, support, and training at customer locations
    * Perform software project management tasks including scheduling,
revision control, and release cycle management
    * Compose grant proposals; submit written reports

Required qualifications and proficiencies:
    * Free to work in the U.S.
    * BS or MS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
    * Proficient in C++ programming
    * A talent for designing elegant and intuitive user interfaces
    * Strong written and verbal communication skills, a talent for
teaching and explaining complex concepts in simple terms
    * Charismatic personality with the ability to make people feel
comfortable with advanced technology
    * Willingness to travel 8+ weeks per year
    * Highly-valued skills include: Linux programming, Doxygen,
Subversion, wxWidgets, Python, OpenGL, ROS, MATLAB, Simulink

This full time position includes health care and other benefits.

Contact Rosanne Kramer <rk at barrett.com>

-Bill T.