[robotics-worldwide] 2012 IEEE Haptics Symposium - 2nd Call for Papers

Greg Gerling gg7h at virginia.edu
Sat Aug 27 05:51:23 PDT 2011

Please forgive the multiple postings.

The IEEE Haptics Symposium is sponsored by the Robotics and Automation
Society, and addresses topics including human-robot interactions
involving touch, the design of touch sensors and actuators, haptic
device design and dynamics, and control system design and analysis,
among others.

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

20th IEEE Haptics Symposium: "Engaging and Connecting with the User"

http://hapticssymposium.org

IMPORTANT DATES
*****************
Paper & Ext. Abstracts Due:
         September 16, 2011 (firm)
Tutorial / Workshop Proposals Submission:
         October 13, 2011
Author Notification:
         November 21, 2011
Camera-Ready Paper Submission:
         December 19, 2011
Demo Submission:
         December 19, 2011

Conference Dates:
         March 4-7, 2012

Proposals for Tutorials and Workshops should be sent to the conference
chairs by October 13, 2011 (earlier communication is strongly encouraged).

LOCATION AND FORMAT
*********************
The 2012 Haptics Symposium will be in Vancouver, Canada, in the heart
of downtown at the Sheraton Wall Centre.

The 2012 IEEE Haptics Symposium celebrates 20 years of multidisciplinary
research relating to the human sense of touch. Since 1992, this conference
has become a vibrant forum where psychophysicists, engineers and designers
come together to share advances, spark new collaborations and envision a
future that benefits from rich physical interactions between humans and
computers, generated through haptic (force and tactile) devices.

In 2012, we are accommodating the growth in this community with an extended
four-day program in an independently-run meeting, with 3 full days for main
conference, as well as tutorials and workshops on an additional first day.

DESCRIPTION
*************
Haptics 2012: "Engaging and Connecting with the User"

The Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS) has long been a central venue for sharing
engineering and psychophysical advances related to the human sense of
touch,
and to advances in our understanding of haptic (touch) perception. 2012 is
the year of the user. This conference will feature spotlights on research
contributions and methodologies for engaging and useful, usable
interactions,
applications and design tools. By increasingly engaging our public and
industry
community, we seek to make our work more available to the outside world;
and
connect our emerging young talent to the industry partners who will employ
them.

Sponsored by IEEE's Robotics and Automation Society and its Technical
Committee on Haptics, the symposium's longstanding single track format and
comfortable but vibrant surroundings make this symposium an ideal
opportunity
to network and learn.

We solicit high-quality, original submissions in all areas of haptics
including, but not limited to:

- Haptic interactions and their design
- Psychophysics and perception
- Biomechanics and motor control
- Haptic device design and dynamics
- Haptic rendering and modeling
- Control system design and analysis
- Low-cost, embedded / situated / ubiquitous haptic devices and applications
- Systems and networks involving haptic interactions
- Human-robot interactions involving touch
- Touch sensing
- Application of the above, including areas such as education,
entertainment and games, rehabilitation and health, art and music,
collaboration, computer-aided design and prototyping, skills training,
guidance, simulation and data visualization

SPONSORSHIP
Society and Technical Committee on Haptics (TCH).

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
**********************
General Chairs
- Karon MacLean - University of British Columbia, Canada
- Marcia O'Malley - Rice University, USA

Publications
- Seungmoon Choi - Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea

Sponsorship
- William Provancher - University of Utah, USA

Demonstrations, Posters & Exhibits
- Mark Colton - Brigham Young University, USA
- John Morrell - Yale University, USA

Local Arrangements
- Daniela Constantinescu - University of Victoria, Canada
- Brian Gleeson - University of British Columbia, Canada

Awards
- Hong Z Tan - Purdue University, USA

Publicity
- Gregory Gerling - University of Virginia, USA

Webmaster
- Dane Powell - Rice University, USA

Workshops and Tutorials
- Manuel Cruz - Immersion Corporation, Canada

Registration
- Mike Zinn - University of Wisconsin, USA

Student Volunteers
- Ali Israr - Disney Research, USA

Website Advisor
- Katherine J. Kuchenbecker - University of Pennsylvania, USA

Sincerely,

Gregory Gerling
2012 Haptics Symposium Publicity Chair

To unsubscribe from this list, please log in to
http://2012.hapticssysmposium.org/user/login and edit your account
preferences.