[robotics-worldwide] ICRA'11 -- Workshop on Roboethics
fferreira at isr.ist.utl.pt
Thu Feb 17 16:02:58 PST 2011
[Apologies for cross-posting.]
Fourth Workshop on Roboethics
2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2011)
13 May 2011
CALL FOR PAPERS
The theme of the ICRA 2011 conference is "Better Robots, Better Life", an expectation that the ever growing technology in robotics and automation will help build a better human society.
But achieving this goal is not only a technical problem. Robotics research and applications are increasingly raising ethical questions, related to emerging interactions between robots and human beings, as well as to the closer interaction between robotics research and the biological and social sciences.
The application of ethics to machines, including robots and computer programs, has been mostly limited so far to the consideration that designers and operators should take full responsibility of machines' actions.
However, in the near future, the robotics community will develop machines whose behavior will be an emergent and, to some extent, unforeseeable result of design and operation decisions made by humans and even by other machines.
Moreover, the interaction and the physical integration of human beings and robotic systems is increasing exponentially. The social, economic, psychological, philosophical, and even spiritual impacts of this research are still unclear, but certainly they require careful analysis and attention by the robotics research community.
Among the objectives of the workshop is the opportunity of developing rules for roboethical quality insurance, aimed at preventing unethical uses of robotics research products. Long-term objectives include the increase of robotics researcher's ethical awareness, in the context of the ever growing interdisciplinarity that will characterize the new generation of robotics research.
Contributions are welcome on the ethical, legal and societal aspects of the following topics (but not limited to):
· Robot Ethics (Decision procedures/algorithms for moral behavior)
· Technical Dependability (Availability; Reliability; Safety; Security)
· Military application of robotics (Acceptability, Advantages and Risks, Codes)
· Health (Robotics in surgery; Robotics in health care, assistance, prosthetics and therapy)
· Service (Social robotics, Personal assistants, Companions)
· Economy (Replacing humans in the workplace; Robotics and the job market)
· Psychology (Position of humans in the control hierarchy; Robots and children)
· Law (Robots and liability; Deployment of autonomously acting robots)
· Environment (Sustainable exploitation of resources; Cleaning nuclear and toxic waste)
· February 28, 2011: Paper submission deadline
· March 7, 2011: Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
· March 14, 2011: Camera-Ready Submission Deadline
Extended abstracts (of two pages) or full papers of up to 6 pages (using the ICRA conference publication format) are welcome. Interested authors are encouraged to send their original contributions in the above or related areas to the organizers at:
info at roboethics.org <cid:part1.04000105.03080502 at ieiit.cnr.it>
IEEE RAS Technical Committee on Roboethics
* Gianmarco Veruggio, CNR-IEIIT, Italy (Corresponding Co-chair)
* Jorge Solis, Waseda University, Japan (co-chair)
* Matthias Scheutz, Indiana University, USA (co-chair)
PhD candidate at University of Genoa
Associate Research Fellow at CNR - IEIIT
Istituto di Elettronica e di Ingegneria dell'Informazione e delle Telecomunicazioni
Via De Marini,6 - 16149 Genova, Italia
E:fausto.ferreira at ieiit.cnr.it
More information about the robotics-worldwide