[robotics-worldwide] CFP - IROS 2011 Special Symposia on Marine Robotics

Ryan Smith ryan.smith at qut.edu.au
Sun Feb 27 16:36:30 PST 2011

Our apologies for any multiple posting that you may have received.

The 2011 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2011) will be held in San Francisco, California, USA, during September 25-30, 2011. This year, the conference will feature a series of special symposia to celebrate the achievements of the last 50 years of robotics and to articulate a vision for the future of the field.

We are proposing Special Symposium sessions on Marine Robotics, and are opening a call for papers discussing various aspects of robotics and their applications in aquatic environments. A proposed schedule can be downloaded from the symposia website < https://sites.google.com/site/irossymposia/home >. Submissions should address one of the following three general subject areas:

1. Platform Development:
Over the years, there have been many designs for robotic marine vehicles; some more successful than others. In this session, we will focus on past achievements in design and innovation for marine robotics, recently developed platforms and technology, and proposed concepts and desires for vehicles of the future. We will feature an invited plenary talk followed by a mix of standard paper submissions and presentations of papers chosen by the program committee for an interactive multimedia presentation. The focus of presentations included in this session is on the design and evolution of past, present and future marine robot platforms.

2. Control and Planning:
>From low-level control development for the first aquatic robots to the successful autonomous navigation under Antarctic ice sheets, aquatic robot autonomy has increased rapidly over the past decades. This is due to the ongoing improvements of controllers and planners for robots in general. The primary focus of this track is to present contributions and novel developments to control theory and planning for marine robots. We will feature an invited plenary talk discussing the history of control and planning for aquatic robots followed by a series of standard paper presentations addressing new work in control and planning methods.

3. Applications:
Autonomous and remotely operated robots are currently utilised for many applications, across a broad spectrum of disciplines. Some examples include, archaeology, geology, military, environmental monitoring, security, chemistry, and biology. Papers presented in this session will focus on the use of marine robots for applications across a broad spectrum of disciplines. Field trials/results are not necessary, but are encouraged.

The deadline for submission is 14 March, 2011. Submission details can be found at: http://www.iros2011.org/cfp. If you are interested in participating in a session of this special Symposia on Marine Robotics, please refer to session code 1Q12a during the submission process on PaperPlaza < https://ras.papercept.net/conferences/scripts/start.pl >. Please note that all submissions for this special symposia are required to go through the standard review process of the IROS CEB.

We will work with the conference program committee to make the appropriate assignment of papers to the above symposia on the subject of marine robotics. We look forward to your contributions for IROS 2011, Symposia on Marine Robotics.

Please direct any questions regarding this symposia to Ryan at ryan.smith at qut.edu.au

Sincerely,
Ryan N. Smith, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Fumin Zhang, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Hayato Kondo, Tokyo Univeristy of Marine Science and Technology, Japan
Gianluca Antonelli, University of Cassino, Italy