[robotics-worldwide] Call for Participation (ICRA 2011): EDUCATING ROBOTICS ENGINEERS AND SCIENTISTS

jeff trinkle trink at cs.rpi.edu
Fri Feb 25 07:35:30 PST 2011

Call for Participation
Workshop:  EDUCATING ROBOTICS ENGINEERS AND SCIENTISTS
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~isler/workshop/icra11.html.
2011 IEEE ICRA Conference
Shanghai, China
Monday May 9, 2011 (half day - 9:00am-noon)

This workshop will explore the design of dedicated robotics curricula
especially at the undergraduate level. A crucial component of robotics
education is the use of platforms that will support hands-on robotics
education. We will discuss the state-of-the art in such platforms, and
identify a list of desired qualities. In parallel, we will explore the
use of robots for teaching in other disciplines such as real-time
computing, operating systems, and engineering.

We solicit your participation for an oral presentation during the
sessions or a poster presentation.

Tentative Schedule:
......9:00-10:30....First Presentation Session
....10:30-11:00....Coffee Break and Poster Session
....11:00-12:00....Second Presentation Session

Important dates:
....March, 24:  Submission of extended abstract due (send to: trink at cs.rpi.edu)
....April, 1:      Acceptance decision

Topic areas of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:
....Robotics education pedagogy and curricula
....Cost-effective robotics software and hardware platforms
....Cross-disciplinary course development
....Robotics course projects
....Post-graduation tracking

Confirmed speakers:
....Kostas Daniilidis, University of Pennsylvania
....Aaron Dollar, Yale
....Michael Gennert, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
....Maria Gini, University of Minnesota
....Kazuhiro Kosuge, Tohoku University
....Nikos Papanikolopoulos, University of Minnesota
....Shigeki Sugano, Waseda University

Organizers:
....Michael Gennert, Program Director, Robotics Engineering, Worcester
Polytechnic Institute, USA. michaelg at wpi.edu
....Volkan Isler, University of Minnesota, USA. isler at cs.umn.edu
....Nikos Papanikolopoulos, University of Minnesota, USA.  npapas at cs.umn.edu
....Jeff Trinkle, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA.  trink at cs.rpi.edu