[robotics-worldwide] CFP: IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics: Focus Issue on Marine Mechatronic Systems

Chris Kitts ckitts at engr.scu.edu
Sat Jan 8 13:06:07 PST 2011

Best wishes for the New Year.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics

Focused Section on Marine Mechatronic Systems

Paper Submission Deadline: April 1, 2011

http://www.me.gatech.edu/aimrl/TMech/CFP_FS_2-2012.pdf

The marine environment plays a critical role in our ecosystem, economy and
daily lives. As we increase our reliance on oceans and waterways for new
resources and expanding civil, commercial and scientific activities, we
are faced with a need for highly capable mechatronic systems capable of
performing in this environment. Marine mechatronic systems are used for a
wide range of applications, such as exploring the extreme depths of our
ocean, harvesting resources ranging from food to oil, monitoring our
environment, supporting national defence operations, transporting goods,
and supporting recreational activities. While doing this, these systems
operate in a demanding environment with challenges such as intense
hydrostatic pressures, harmful interaction with electronics and materials,
powerful hydrodynamic forces, and high attenuation of electromagnetic
signals. This Focused Section of the IEEE/ASME Transactions on
Mechatronics is dedicated to new advances in the modeling, analysis,
design, control, implementation and operation of mechatronic devices and
systems operating in the marine environment. Papers should contain both
theoretical and practical/experimental results and are subject to the
TMECH review procedures. Potential topics include but are not limited to:

- Novel platforms, including moorings, buoys, ships, tethered and
untethered underwater robots, and gliders
- Fleets, clusters, and formations of surface and underwater robotic
vehicles
- Novel components and technologies as well as advanced control and
automation strategies
- Seafloor observatories and distributed sensor networks
- Environmental monitoring and characterization systems
- Disaster monitoring and mitigation systems
- Deep-sea measurement, sampling, and drilling systems
- Systems for energy harvesting and flow containment
- Systems for in situ sensing, sampling and analysis and environmental
perturbation experiments
- Systems for inspection, remote observation, and physical intervention

Manuscript preparation: Papers must contain original contributions and be
prepared in accordance with TMECH standards. Instructions for authors are
available online at: http://www.ieee-asme-mechatronics.org

Manuscript submission: Manuscripts should be submitted through the online
submission service available at:
http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/tmech-ieee.  The cover letter should
report the following statement: This paper is submitted for possible
publication in the focused section on Marine Mechatronic Systems.. All
manuscripts will be subjected to the peer review process. If you have any
question relating to this Focused Section, please email one of the Guest
Editors.

Important dates:
Paper Submission: April 1, 2011
Completion of First Review: July 1, 2011
Submission of Revised Papers: August 15, 2011
Completion of Final Review: October 1, 2011
Submission of Final Manuscripts and Copyright Forms: November 1, 2011
Publication: February 2012

Guest Editors:
Christopher Kitts, Santa Clara Univ
Ying Chen, Zhejiang Univ
Stefan Williams, Univ of Sydney
Brian Bingham, Univ of Hawaii
Bill Kirkwood, MBARIA
Gwyn Griffiths, National Oceanography Centre, UK