[robotics-worldwide] Reminder and deadline extension: HRI2011-Workshop "The role of expectations in intuitive human-robot interaction"

Verena V. Hafner hafner at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 14 11:53:37 PST 2011

HRI2011-Workshop
"The role of expectations in intuitive human-robot interaction"
http://introbotics.eu/HRI2011/

March 6, 2011 - Lausanne, Switzerland

2nd Call for Workshop Contributions

Due to many requests, we have extended the deadline for submission to Wednesday, January 19, 2011.

Looking forward to your contributions!
The Organisers.

Important dates:

19 January 2011:  Submission of papers
07 February 2011: Notification of paper acceptance
21 February 2011: Final camera-ready papers due

Workshop description:

Human interaction is highly intuitive: we infer reactions of our opponents mainly from what we have learned in years of experience and often assume that other people have the same knowledge about certain situations, abilities, and expectations as we do. In human-robot interaction (HRI) we cannot take for granted that this is equally true since HRI is asymmetrical. In other words, robots have different abilities, knowledge, and expectations than humans. They need to react appropriately to human expectations and behaviour. With this respect, scientific advances have been made to date for applications in entertainment and service robotics that largely depend on intuitive interaction. However, HRI today is often still unnatural, slow, and unsatisfactory for the human interlocutor. Both the sensorimotor interaction with environment and interlocutor, and the social aspects of the interaction still need to be researched and improved. Therefore, this full-day workshop aims to bring together researchers from different scientific fields to discuss these crosscutting issues and to exchange views on what are the preconditions and principles of intuitive interaction.

Workshop topics:

  * role of expectations in intuitive HRI
  * preconditions for intuitive interaction
  * expectations and intuitive interaction with respect to cultural norms
  * methods to research user expectations and intuitive interaction
  * approaches and methods for recognizing user expectation with a robot system
  * multimodality to support the recognition of expectations and intentions in behaviors
  * expectations of the robot (for example, input that is required by the user) and
    ways of communicating these expectations to the user
  * experiments and user studies researching the influence of the robots’ modalities and
    appearance on users’ expectations and on intuitive interaction
  * dynamics of intuitive interaction
  * learning through interaction

Participation:

Researchers in HRI with all kinds of scientific backgrounds are kindly invited to take part in the workshop. The prerequisite for participation is an interest in the interdisciplinary analysis of HRI with respect to expectations and intuitive interaction. We aim to reach participants from many disciplines, because the topic itself is highly interdisciplinary. The required format of workshop contributions is papers of four to six pages in the standard style of HRI conference (information can be found here). Also one-page position papers can be submitted and presented as posters.

Submission:

Please send your contributions to hafner_AT_informatik.hu-berlin.de and mlohse_AT_techfak.uni-bielefeld.de

Organisers:

This HRI2011 workshop is organised by robotics and HRI experts from Germany, Israel and Japan:

Verena Hafner
Cognitive Robotics, Dept. of Computer Science Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany

Manja Lohse
CoR-Lab and Applied Informatics Technical Faculty, Bielefeld University, Germany

Joachim Meyer
Dept. of Industrial Engineering and Management Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel

Yukie Nagai
Dept. of Adaptive Machine Systems, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Japan

Britta Wrede
Head of CoR-Lab research group ‘Hybrid Society’ and temporary head of the Applied Informatics Group Technical Faculty, Bielefeld University, Germany

--
http://koro.informatik.hu-berlin.de/