[robotics-worldwide] CFP - ICRA Workshop on 'Long-term Autonomy and Lifelong Learning'

Gabe Sibley gabe.sibley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:34:39 PST 2011

*******************
CALL FOR PAPERS
*******************

The ICRA Workshop on 'Long-term Autonomy and Lifelong Learning' is a
full-day  workshop held in conjunction with the IEEE International
Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), at the Shanghai
International Convention Center, Shanghai, China, May 9, 2011.

Website: http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~gsibley/ICRA2011Workshop

Important Dates
----------------
25 February 2011: Paper submissions due
11 March 2011: Notification of acceptance
16 March 2011: Final version for workshop material CD

Organizers
-----------
Gabe Sibley,    University of Oxford, UK
Brian Gerkey,   Willow Garage, USA
Paul Newman, University of Oxford, UK

Scope
------
The problems of long-term autonomy and lifelong learning are
attracting increased attention in the robotics research community.
Robots now routinely operate without human intervention for short
periods of time, and a few systems have demonstrated operation over
much longer periods.

The state-of-the-art in mapping and teach-and-repeat has shown
convincing results on large-scale environments. The DARPA Grand
Challenge, Mars Exploration Rovers, Willow Garage PR2 demos,
long-range visual-teach-and-repeat systems, and Atlantic-Ocean
crossing AUVs are only some of the examples of the increasing maturity
of the field. However with these successes, new challenges are also
emerging related to robust long-term operation and lifelong learning.

What valuable lessons have we learnt from large-scale robotic
experiments? What are the challenges that need to be addressed by the
community to ensure robust and continual operation? We invite authors
to share their experience and insight.

Goal
------
This workshop hopes to crystallize and identify key issues and
challenges as robotic systems operate in increasingly large-scale
environments and over long periods of time. The proposed full-day
workshop seeks to gather some of the most prominent researchers in
this field, who are currently investigating long-term autonomy and
lifelong learning in challenging environments.
Topics

-------
We invite paper submissions, optionally accompanied by a video, both
of which will be reviewed by the program committee. We aim to accept
9-12 papers for oral and poster presentation at the meeting. Papers
should be up to 6-8 pages in length, formatted according to IEEE
Conference style. Videos will be shown during an afternoon session
open to the public.

Topics of interest include, but are not necessary limited to:

   * Persistent Estimation in changing environments
   * Place recognition over time
   * Semantic information for life-long learning
   * Power considerations
   * Long-term mission planning
   * Robust systems engineering
   * Tracking long term environmental change
   * Long-term planning and exploration strategies

If there is sufficient interest, we will pursue publication of a
special journal issue to include the best papers.

More information available on the website:
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~gsibley/ICRA2011Workshop

Contact: gsibley at robots.ox.ac.uk