[robotics-worldwide] CfP: RSS 2011 Workshop on The State of Imitation Learning

brenna d. argall brennadee.argall at epfl.ch
Wed Jun 1 08:11:21 PDT 2011

Call for Participation : RSS 2011 Workshop on The State of Imitation
Learning: Understanding its Applications and Promoting its Adoption

Overview : This full-day workshop will study the numerous subareas of
imitation learning in order to synthesize and summarize the lessons
learned and to draw connections between the array of tools available.
The structure will consist primarily of invited speakers who are leaders
within the field, as well as a panel discussion and brief oral reports
on peer-reviewed submissions.

Location : 2011 Robotics: Science and Systems Conference, Los Angeles,
California, USA
Date     : Monday, June 27th, 2011

** Motivation **
Imitation learning has developed into a large field with applications
that span robotics, neural computation, and artificial intelligence.
Over time, these widespread motivations have spurred an array of
overlapping techniques sporting different names; to some, terms such as
apprenticeship learning, learning from demonstration, inverse optimal
control, and inverse reinforcement learning all mean the same thing, but
to others they have very different connotations.  Imitation learning is
already creating a stir within the robotics community as a formal
framework for conveying our human intuition to real world robotic
systems, and has the potential to revolutionize the way we approach
system development.  In this workshop, we will study the state of
imitation learning in the context of its most promising tools in order
to solidify its foundation and promote wider adoption within the
robotics community.

Our intended audience includes researchers with an interest in robotics,
machine learning, autonomous systems, and other related topics.

** Invited Speakers **
Pieter Abbeel, University of California at Berkley   (confirmed)
Drew Bagnell,  Carnegie Mellon University   (confirmed)
Aude Billard,  Swiss Federal Institute of Technology at Lausanne (EPFL)
   (confirmed)
Chad Jenkins,  Brown University   (confirmed)
Jan Peters,    Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics

** Registration **
Please register through the RSS conference website:
http://www.roboticsconference.org/registration.html

** Organizers **
Brenna Argall,  Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Lausanne,
Switzerland
Nathan Ratliff, Google, Pittsburgh, PA
David Silver,   Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA

** Important Dates **
Early registration deadline : June 1st, 2011
Workshop                    : June 27th, 2011