[robotics-worldwide] PhD position in Surgical Robotics at ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Gassert Roger gassertr at ethz.ch
Tue Jun 14 11:13:02 PDT 2011

PHD POSITION IN SURGICAL ROBOTICS AT ETH ZURICH, SWITZERLAND

The Rehabilitation Engineering Lab at ETH Zurich is seeking applications for a PhD position in Surgical Robotics, offered in the framework of the European Project INTELLIGENT SURGICAL ROBOTICS (I-SUR). The position is available immediately, is fully funded and will involve strong interaction with the project partners.

BACKGROUND
The goal of this PhD project is to develop and control an instrumented robotic surgical tool with high intrinsic safety, capable of performing automated surgical actions such as puncturing, cutting and suturing. The high-performance mechatronic design will be realized in collaboration with a postdoc with strong experience in the field, and the PhD will focus mainly on the advanced control of the surgical tool (instrument control, task control and situation awareness).

I-SUR focuses on the innovative development of methods for the following technologies:

• Soft organ registration and calibration, including patient pathologies and anatomical variants
• Surgical action planning in deformable environments
• Intra-operative sensing and automatic understanding of surgical situations
• Surgeon-robot communication

These new methods will be integrated and validated on the designed and instrumented robotic tool with high intrinsic safety.

YOUR PROFILE
We are seeking candidates with an MSc degree in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or a related discipline, with a strong background controls, mechanical design and robotics. Good programming skills, previous experience in real-time control and surgical robotics are a plus. If you are an integrative personality with good communication skills desiring to advance this topic with your independent working style, we are looking forward to your application.

WHAT WE OFFER:
- a dynamic work environment among highly motivated students and staff
- access to the institute's extensive infrastructure / mechatronics workshop; collaborations within the EU project I-SUR and other ongoing projects of the lab
- a competitive salary and excellent social benefits
- support for courses related to project management, personal development, etc.

HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be sent by e-mail to Roger Gassert (gassertr at ethz.ch, with "PhD position in Surgical Robotics" as subject) and include a motivation letter, full CV with photograph, list of publications, academic transcripts and contact information of two references.

ABOUT THE REHABILITATION ENGINEERING LAB
The Rehabilitation Engineering Lab pursues research at the frontiers of human-machine interaction, high-performance haptics and neuroscience. Research focuses on the design, control and (clinical) evaluation/application of robotic tools to investigate, model, restore and augment sensorimotor control in humans.

LINKS
I-SUR website: http://www.isur.eu/
Rehabilitation Engineering Lab: http://www.relab.ethz.ch
ETH Zurich: http://www.ethz.ch

--
Prof. Dr. Roger Gassert
Rehabilitation Engineering Lab

Phone: +41 44 632 32 66
E-Mail: gassertr at ethz.ch
http://www.relab.ethz.ch

Rehab Week Zurich 2011 – One week.  Three conferences.
ICORR'11 | ICVR'11 | INRS'11 | http://www.rehabweekzurich.com/

12th IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics
ICORR 2011, June 29–July 1, http://www.icorr2011.com