[robotics-worldwide] Call for Participation - RSS 2011 Workshop: Tutorial on 3D Point Cloud Processing: Point Cloud Library

Bastian Steder steder at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jun 19 02:35:38 PDT 2011

Please consider to participate at the RSS 2011 Tutorial on 3D Point
Cloud Processing: PCL (Point Cloud Library)

When: July 1, 2011

Where: Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS) 2011, University of Southern
California, in Los Angeles, California, USA., GFS 116

Organizers: Radu Bogdan Rusu (Willow Garage), Bastian Steder (University
of Freiburg), Nico Blodow (Technical University of Munich), Dirk Holz
(University of Bonn)

Short description:
With the advent of new, low-cost hardware such as OpenNI compatible
cameras and continued efforts in advanced open source 3D point cloud
processing, 3D perception gains more and more importance in robotics, as
well as other fields. The workshop attempts to motivate new developers
and ideas to delve into this subject by offering a tutorial on point
cloud processing using the emerging Point Cloud Library (PCL), which
presents an advanced and extensive approach to the subject, as well as
providing an overview of existing systems applying these techniques. Our
goal is to provide an excellent reference material for students and
researchers interested in this subject and take our guests through a
complete application demonstration (given live) that combines subjects
such as filtering, feature estimation, segmentation, registration,
object recognition and finally surface reconstruction. The tutorial will
be held using OpenNI compatible sensors, so we encourage the audience to
bring theirs so we can follow all the steps together. We're assembling a
great list of invited speakers that will talk about the usage of PCL in
their work and show impressive demos.

Please see http://www.pointclouds.org/media/rss2011.html for more
information.