[robotics-worldwide] CFP: Invitation to participate in an RSS 2011 tutorial on 3D Point Cloud Processing: PCL (Point Cloud Library) (July 1, 2011 @ USC)

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Mar 31 21:56:35 PDT 2011

Tutorial on 3D Point Cloud Processing: PCL (Point Cloud Library)

July 1, 2011 @ USC in Los Angeles, California (full day)
In conjunction with RSS (Robotics: Science and Systems) 2011

-- Tutorial Website --

http://www.pointclouds.org/media/rss2011.html

-- Tutorial Description --

With the advent of new, low-cost hardware such as the Kinect and continued
efforts in advanced open source 3D point cloud processing, 3D perception gains
more and more importance in robotics, as well as other fields. The workshop
attempts to motivate new developers and ideas to delve into this subject by
offering a tutorial on point cloud processing using the emerging Point Cloud
Library (PCL), which presents an advanced and extensive approach to the
subject, as well as providing an overview of existing systems applying these
techniques. Our goal is to provide an excellent reference material for students
and researchers interested in this subject and take our guests through a
complete application demonstration (given live) that combines subjects such as
filtering, feature estimation, segmentation, registration, object recognition
and finally surface reconstruction. The tutorial will be held using Microsoft
Kinect/PrimeSense sensors, so we encourage the audience to bring theirs so we
can follow all the steps together. We're assembling a great list of invited
speakers that will talk about the usage of PCL in their work and show
impressive demos.

-- Invited Speakers (preliminary) --

Michael Dixon, Willow Garage
Garratt Gallagher, MIT
Kurt Konolige, Willow Garage
Adam Leeper, Stanford University
Louis LeGrand, Intel Research Seattle
Dieter Fox, University of Washington/Intel Research Seattle
Marius Muja, University of British Columbia
Zoltan-Csaba Marton, Technical University of Munich
Michael Ruhnke, University of Freiburg
Ethan Rublee, Willow Garage
Ryohei Ueda/Yohei Kakiuchi, JSK Tokyo University
Kai Wurm, University of Freiburg

-- Organizers --

Radu Bogdan Rusu, Willow Garage
Bastian Steder, University of Freiburg
Nico Blodow, Technical University of Munich
Dirk Holz, University of Bonn

--
Cheers,
Radu.