[robotics-worldwide] Job Opportunity at Evolution Robotics
Mario E. Munich
mario at evolution.com
Tue May 10 15:47:28 PDT 2011
Robotics and Vision Scientist
Evolution Robotics Employment Opportunity Profile
- _Title_: *Robotics and Vision Scientist*
- _Reports to_: VP of Research and Development
Evolution Robotics, Inc. is a robotics company that develops
breakthrough technologies that revolutionize robotics for the mass
market. The recent convergence of low-cost mobile computing, wireless
communication, and sensing technologies has not only made the
development of mobile robotic products possible, but also economical for
mainstream usage. Evolution Robotics develops innovative solutions for
making machines sense and act autonomously. We partner with consumer
electronics companies to augment the capabilities of their products,
such as the Sony AIBO(r) entertainment robot or WowWee robotic toys, or
create entire new robotic products such as the Mint robotic mop and
Evolution is a recognized leader in industrial and academic
communities. The company has assembled a world-class management team
composed of leading robotics experts and consumer products business
leaders to make the company's vision of providing useful robots at
affordable prices a reality. The Evolution Robotics team operates in a
highly dynamic and very collaborative environment where the flow of
ideas is encouraged from all parts of the team. The team of extremely
talented engineers and scientists at Evolution has created a unique,
highly stimulating, and fun work environment. This team challenges the
status quo in technology and pushes the envelope on what may seem
Evolution Robotics is an operating company of Idealab!, a technology
incubator known for having started many successful companies including
Overture, CitySearch, and eSolar. We are located in beautiful and sunny
Pasadena, in Southern California. Hosting scientific institutions like
the California Institute of Technology and the Jet Propulsion Lab, and
national events like the annual Tournament of Roses, the city is
considered the main cultural center of the San Gabriel Valley.
Find more information about Evolution Robotics at our website
[www.evolution.com] and see our technologies in action on YouTube
Design, implement, test and document robotics and vision algorithms in C
and C++ on Linux/Windows and on embedded platforms. One of the main
focuses of the position is the development of novel vision-based
algorithms for mobile robotics navigation, particularly vision-based
navigation and vision-based SLAM. Another main focus is the design of
state-of-the-art algorithms for fusion of vision and dead-reckoning
information. Particular emphasis is placed on embeddable algorithms for
- A solid engineering background with hands-on experience designing
and developing robotics and/or vision systems.
- Understanding of and experience with any of the following: object
recognition, structure from motion, 3D reconstruction, ego-motion
estimation, feature extraction and matching, face recognition.
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical foundation.
- Good understanding of computer systems.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in algorithm implementation using C
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently, without direct supervision.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to learn quickly.
- *Minimum Degree*: PhD in Computer Vision, Robotics, or related field.
Nice to have:
- Understanding of and experience with any of the following:
behavior-based control, navigation, path-planning, obstacle avoidance,
SLAM, vision-based SLAM, estimation and control.
- Image processing experience including image sensors and image
- Embedded programming experience.
- Algorithm development with Matlab.
- Ability to build/assemble/modify electronic assemblies or robots into
various configurations for test purposes.
*Interested candidates should submit their resume and salary history to:
[careers at evolution.com]*
/An Equal Opportunity Employer/
Mario E. Munich, PhD
VP of Research and Development
Ph: (626) 993-3317
Fax: (626) 993-3301
mario at evolution.com
More information about the robotics-worldwide