[robotics-worldwide] multiple postdoc positions available in the Harvard Microrobotics Lab

Rob Wood rjwood at eecs.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 29 10:05:10 PST 2011

The Harvard Microrobotics Lab is seeking multiple postdoctoral researchers in the following areas:

1. Active soft materials

Active soft materials embed electrical or mechanical functionality in materials that are inherently soft, with characteristic modulus on the order of 100kPa to 1MPa. We are developing fabrication methods for multi-scale active soft devices and simultaneously utilizing these devices as components (e.g. sensors, soft electronics, compliance modulation, etc) in soft robots. Goals include new fabrication methods for micro- and meso-scale soft composites and integration into wearable soft robots and autonomous soft robots. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.

2. Micro-scale design and fabrication

We are evolving our fabrication methods for micro- and meso-scale devices and robots and are looking for candidates with experience in microfabrication (MEMS and other novel derivatives) and micro-scale design. Goals include expanded functionality by incorporating discrete integrated circuits (for sensing, power, control, etc) into otherwise monolithically-fabricated centimeter-scale devices, development of design rules and CAD tools for meso-scale mechanisms, and generally expand the space of devices generated using our techniques. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.

3. RoboBee design

The RoboBees project involves a huge multi-disciplinary design effort aimed at the creation of an autonomous flying robot the scale of a bee. We seek applicants with experience in design optimization, microfabrication, and autonomous robots. The successful applicant will work with a large team of researchers to integrate technologies being developed accross the project including the aeromechanical components, actuators, sensors, power, and custom integrated circuits. Goals include demonstrations of on-board sensing and control, demonstration of power autonomy, and general integration accross the project. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.

4. Development of ambulatory microrobots

Leveraging our fabrication techniques, we have developed the smallest fully-autonomous hexapod robot (the Harvard Ambulatory Microrobot) along with myriapod-inspired robots. We seek a postdoctoral researcher to work with a team of students to advance all aspects of these robots, design experiments aimed at elucidating the key features of ground-ambulating robots and animals, and integrate new technologies for power, sensing, and computation. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.

Applicants should send a cover letter briefly describing their background and career plans, a CV, and the names and contact information for at least three references. The positions are open immediately (1/1/2012) and guaranteed for a year with a possible second year extension. These documents should be submitted as pdf attachments to Prof. Wood (be sure to indicate which position you are applying to): rjwood at seas.harvard.edu

Harvard University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and applications from women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged.