[robotics-worldwide] 3DGSS: Software for Local Shape Descriptors and Range Image Registration

Ko Nishino ko.nishino at drexel.edu
Tue Oct 4 11:33:07 PDT 2011

Dear all,

We would like to announce the release of a software package, 3DGSS, that
implements the geometric scale-space analysis tools for range images
introduced by our research group. The software package can be downloaded
from

https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~kon/3DGSS/

The software let's you detect stable and discriminative local shape
descriptors that should be useful in many robotics applications such as 3D
object recognition in cluttered scenes.

The code implements the construction of geometric scale-space (a scale-space
representation based on the surface normals), detection of scale-dependent
and -invariant features and descriptors, and fully automatic registration of
range images using those descriptors. The program can take in a ply file and
output the scale-space, corners, descriptors, and registration
transformations. The program is coded in python with inlining of C code
using scipy.weave and should run on most platforms.

We hope you give it a try when processing range images and will be
glad if you find it useful.

Best,
Ko Nishino
Associate Professor