[robotics-worldwide] 2nd CfP: IROS 2012 Workshop on Active Semantic Perception (ASP’12)
holz at ais.uni-bonn.de
Thu Aug 9 03:35:38 PDT 2012
Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP.
Call for papers for
IROS’12 Workshop on Active Semantic Perception (ASP’12)
Submission site: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=irosasp12
“Context and Semantic Prior in Active Perception”
In realistic complex systems operating in large-scale environments,
the perception of semantic cues must be considered an active process.
Robots need the ability to seek semantic cues beyond sensory horizon,
exploit them to generate active behavior and do it robustly and
efficiently. To this end, this workshop focuses on active exploration
and search for semantic cues and their exploitation for generating a
more efficient and informed behavior.
The workshop is a second edition of the successful event organized
during IROS’11 in San Francisco (http://www.activeperception.org/2011)
which attracted considerable attention. The theme of this year’s
edition builds upon the last year’s introduction to active perception
and focuses on the problem of acquisition and exploitation of contextual
information as well as general world knowledge. It will bring together
researchers in order to exchange ideas and discuss opportunities
in using context and semantic prior for building active robotic systems.
List of Topics
* Planning for active perception and exploration
* Acquisition of semantic priors through analysis of large-scale databases
* Trading exploration and exploitation of semantic cues
* Exploiting context for object, scene and place understanding
* Closing the perception action loop with semantic information
* Object detection and categorization in complex scenes
* Object search using vision or other sensory modalities
* Semantic mapping, place categorization and scene understanding
* Combining heterogeneous sources of semantic information
* Using semantic knowledge for driving active perception and efficient
* Multi-robot scenarios in active semantic perception
Submission deadline: 24 August
Notification of acceptance: 7 September
Camera ready: 24 September
The workshop will consist of a mix of invited speakers, 2 or 3 paper
presentations and a poster session. All submissions should be in PDF
format using the IROS template. Papers should be 4-6 pages in length,
optionally accompanied by a video.
All submissions will be reviewed for relevance to the topic of the
workshop as well as scientific merit. Submissions should be emailed to
the easy chair system
Contact email: irosasp12 at easychair.org
Presenters and Program Committee
Invited talks are going to be given by (in alphabetical order):
* Patric Jensfelt, Royal Institute of Technology KTH, Stockholm, Sweden.
Use of prior semantic knowledge for object search in large-scale environments.
* Giorgio Metta, Italian Institute of Technology, Genoa, Italy
Biological and developmental perspective on active perception.
* Ingmar Posner, Oxford University, UK
Using semantic knowledge for exploration in large scale spaces.
* Ashutosh Saxena, Cornell University, NY, USA
Scene understanding and its applications in personal robotics.
* Stefanie Tellex, MIT, Boston, USA
Using semantic knowledge for symbol grounding in navigation and manipulation.
In addition to invited talks, we accept high quality submissions that
are both peer reviewed and selected by the workshop’s program
committee. It is formed by:
* Wolfram Burgard, University of Freiburg, Germany
* Tom Duckett, University of Lincoln, UK
* Jana Kosecka, George Mason University, USA
* Andreas Nuechter, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
* Dejan Pangercic, Technische Universität München, Germany
* Alessandro Saffiotti, Örebro University, Sweden
* Marcus Vincze, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
More information about the robotics-worldwide