[robotics-worldwide] Volz Best US PhD Thesis Award 2008 Winner

Christensen, Henrik I. hic at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 23 05:31:02 PDT 2012

Announcement of the Volz 2008 PhD Winner

Every year a call is made for the "Volz Best US PhD Thesis" considering thesis that have been published four years earlier. This year we had a good set of theses to consider. Based on an evaluation of quality of research and impact after graduation  the winner is

- Pieter Abbeel, UC Berkeley (graduated from Stanford)

There were two runner ups for the award.

- Michael Kaess, MIT (graduated from Georgia Tech)
- Ed Olson, UMICH (graduated from MIT)

The winner was announced at RSS in Sydney. The award includes a certificate, $1000 cash and an autographed picture by Dick Volz. In addition the winner will be invited to submit his/her thesis for consideration by the Springer STAR series.

The award is organized in honor the work by Prof. Dick Volz (TAMU). Candidates are considered three/four years after graduation to allow for evaluation of the impact of the research in a broader perspective beyond the thesis.

The call for nominations for the year 2009 will be announced shortly.

Congratulations to the winner and the runner ups. The award committee

Prof. Seth Hutchinson, Univ. of Illinois Urbana Champaign
Prof. John Hollerbach, Univ. of Utah
Prof. Vijay Kumar, Univ. of Pennsylvania
Prof. Gaurav Sukhatme, Univ. of Southern California
Prof. Henrik I Christensen, Georgia Tech.

--
Henrik I. Christensen, Ph.D., KUKA Chair of Robotics
Director, Robotics and Intelligent Machines