[robotics-worldwide] PhD Opportunity on Multiple Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Development, Control, and Coordination
lucpim at yahoo.com.br
Tue Feb 7 10:36:36 PST 2012
The Computer Systems and Robotics Lab. ( CORO - http://coro.cpdee.ufmg.br ), School of Engineering, Federal University of Minas Gerais ( UFMG - www.ufmg.br ),
Brazil, is currently seeking PhD students to work in the field of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) with a start date in 2012.
The selected students will work in a project funded by the Brazilian Innovation Agency – FINEP,
with grants from the Electrical Engineering Graduate Program ( PPGEE - http://www.ppgee.ufmg.br/indexi.php ).
Project Description: The main goal of this project is the development of a team of fixed-wing aerial robots which are able to collaborate in a coverage mission.
Given a limited region this team of UAVs should be able to cover this region in minimum time. Possible applications are surveillance, environmental monitoring, and
search and rescue in the Amazon Forest. The project will be mainly developed at UFMG, which is a top 3 university in Brazil (World Ranking: 301 – 400 according
to the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2011), located in the city of Belo Horizonte ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belo_Horizonte ),
which is one of the main cities of Brazil, capital of the state of Minas Gerais.
- Master (equivalent) degree in electrical/mechanical engineering or computer science.
- Strong Interest in Robotics and/or Control Theory and/or Electronics.
- Good programming skills in C++ and Matlab.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills (Fluent English).
- Portuguese is not required, but the student is expected to learn it during the 4 year PhD project.
- Some demonstrated work experience in robotics research is a “plus”.
Application: Send a cover letter, CV, academic transcript, selected publications, and contact information for three references
to Prof. Luciano C. A. Pimenta ( lucpim at cpdee.ufmg.br ).
For additional information contact Prof. Luciano C. A. Pimenta ( lucpim at cpdee.ufmg.br )
More information about the robotics-worldwide