[robotics-worldwide] Call for participation: ETH Robotics Summer School on Soft Robotics 2012

Brodbeck Luzius bluzius at student.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 27 03:14:36 PST 2012

ETH Robotics Summer School on Soft Robotics 2012

June 18-22, 2012

Zurich, Switzerland

www.birl.ethz.ch/sssr2012<http://www.birl.ethz.ch/sssr2012>

INVITATION

It is our great pleasure to invite you to the summer school on soft robotics that we are organizing this coming summer at ETH Zurich, Switzerland. This will be an exceptional opportunity to learn the broad and interdisciplinary field of soft robotics from leading scientists.

The school is designed for graduate students of all levels. A solid background in engineering will enable you to profit most from the lectures and exercises, while the course might still serve as a good introduction to people of different background who want to learn more about this inspiring field. For detailed information on the summer school, speakers or application procedure, please see the brief introduction below.

ETH ROBOTIC SUMMER SCHOOL ON SOFT ROBOTICS

During this summer school, we will give an introduction into current issues and techniques in soft robotics research. Classes will cover a wide range of relevant topics from biology, neuroscience, material science via modeling to controls, robotics and artificial intelligence. Additional hands-on exercises provide a deeper understanding of the methods taught and illustrate their implementation. More specifically, there will be lectures on

* Mechanical fundamentals for soft robotics

* Modeling and simulation of soft bodies

* Soft actuators and deformable sensors

* Physical human robot interaction

* Soft design and control in biological systems

Finally, in a number of selected case studies presented by internationally recognized experts in the field, we will point to areas of stimulating research and allow you to see beyond the current state of the art.

PRIMARILY CONFIRMED SPEAKERS AND LECTURERS

* Alin Albu-Schäffer, DLR

* Dario Floreano, EPFL

* Roger Gassert, ETHZ

* Fumiya Iida, ETHZ

* Maarja Kruusmaa, Tallinn University of Technology

* Stéphanie Lacour, EPFL

* Cecilia Laschi, SSSUP

* Carmel Majidi, CMU

* Rolf Pfeifer, University of Zurich

* Barry A. Trimmer, Tufts University

* Fritz Vollrath, University of Oxford

* Amir Jafari, ETHZ

* Olivier Lambercy, ETHZ

* Ramon Pericet-Camara, EPFL

* Liyu Wang, ETHZ

IMPORTANT DATES

- Application deadline: 10.3.2012

- Notification of acceptance: 17.3.2012

- Summer school: 18.6.-22.6.2012

HOW TO APPLY

Applications should be sent via email to sssr2012 at birl.mavt.ethz.ch<mailto:sssr2012 at birl.mavt.ethz.ch>. Please state on a single page (11pt font):

* Your scientific background and degree

* Your motivation to come to this school

* The topic of your thesis

* Any prior knowledge in the field

Optional: CV with list of publications

ORGANIZATION

The summer school is jointly organized by the Bio-Inspired Robotics Lab (www.birl.ethz.ch<http://www.birl.ethz.ch>) and the Rehabilitation Engineering Lab (www.relab.ethz.ch<http://www.relab.ethz.ch>) which are part of the Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems of ETH Zurich. It is sponsored by the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Robotics (www.nccr-robotics.ch<http://www.nccr-robotics.ch>).

For further information please visit our homepage: www.birl.ethz.ch/sssr2012<http://www.birl.ethz.ch/sssr2012>

Liyu Wang, Luzius Brodbeck, Fumiya Iida

SSSR 2012 Main Organizers