[robotics-worldwide] CALL FOR ABSTRACTS: RSS 2012 Workshop on Manipulation in Uncertain, Deformable, Heterogeneous Environments

Ron Alterovitz ron at cs.unc.edu
Sun Jun 3 14:49:47 PDT 2012

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS ON EMERGING RESULTS

RSS 2012 Workshop on Algorithmic Frontiers in Medical Robotics: Manipulation in Uncertain, Deformable, Heterogeneous Environments

When: July 9 and 10, 2012

Where: Robotics Science and Systems (RSS) 2012, Sydney, Australia

Website: http://automation.berkeley.edu/RSS2012Workshop/

Submission deadline: June 15, 2012

Medical robotics is a rapidly-growing field with new devices and methods emerging from industry, academia, and the medical community. Advances in hardware such as the Da Vinci system from Intuitive Surgical, the recently-developed Raven open tele-surgery robots, and robots for specialized procedures such as brachytherapy open up new application areas.

This workshop will focus on the algorithmic challenges at the frontier of medical robotics.  Example challenges include, but are by no means limited to: How can we model and simulate 3D deformable tissues? How do we robustly handle the uncertainty inherent to surgical interventions? How can we integrate motion planning and control with intuitive user interfaces and enable higher performance human-robot collaboration? What recent and forthcoming advances in medical robot hardware can be enhanced with algorithmic components? How do we most effectively enable humans and medical robots to work side-by-side?

This workshop will bring together researchers, engineers, and physicians to identify and discuss new opportunities for algorithms and computation to advance the state of the art in medical robotics. We will explore algorithms that improve the planning, control, and effectiveness of existing systems as well as emerging devices. We will also explore how improvements in modeling and simulation can enable more accurate and robust pre- and intra-operative planning. Finally, we will explore new algorithms for interfacing humans and medical robots both at the high and low levels.

The workshop will include invited talks and presentations on the state of the art in different areas of medical robotics research. The list of invited speakers includes:

Allison Okamura (Stanford University)
Cenk Cavusoglu (Case Western Reserve University)
Dimitris Metaxas (Rutgers University)
Howard Chizeck (University of Washington)
Jacob Rosen (University of California, Santa Cruz)
Karol Miller (University of Western Australia)
Sarthak Misra (University of Twente)
Stephane Cotin (University of Lille)
Angelo Tsirbas, MD (Surgery)

----- CALL FOR ABSTRACTS ON EMERGING RESULTS -----

We solicit abstract submissions on research relevant to manipulation in uncertain, deformable, and/or heterogeneous environments. Authors of accepted abstracts will have the opportunity to give presentations at the workshop.

Abstracts, optionally accompanied by a video, will be reviewed (not double-blind) by the organizers. Accepted abstracts and videos will be distributed on the workshop website in addition to being presented at the workshop.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

* Perception and modeling of anatomy
* Haptic and other user interfaces
* Perception/planning/control for deformable object manipulation
* Perception/planning/control of needle insertion/steering
* Planning and control in the presence of uncertainty
* New algorithms and hardware for surgical robotics
* New clinical applications for robotics
* Learning methods applied to medical robotics
* Human-robot interaction/collaboration in medical tasks
* Hardware advances that can be enhanced with algorithmic components

Abstracts should be in PDF, conform to the RSS regular conference paper style guidelines, and be 1 or 2 pages in length. Videos should be in the MP4 format, 2-5 minutes in length, and easily viewed with free video players (please try playing your video on a couple of different machines before submitting).

Email submissions to: berenson at eecs.berkeley.edu. Please do not attach video files to email; include a URL instead.

----- IMPORTANT DATES -----

* Submission deadline: June 15, 2012
* Notification of acceptance: June 19, 2012

----- ORGANIZERS -----

* Dmitry Berenson (UC Berkeley)
* Ron Alterovitz (UNC Chapel Hill)
* Pieter Abbeel (UC Berkeley)