[robotics-worldwide] Third Summer School on Screw-Theory Based Methods in Robotics

Dimiter Zlatanov zlatanov at dimec.unige.it
Mon Jun 11 00:48:42 PDT 2012

Dear colleague,

This is a second and final call for participants to:

The Third International Summer School on

Screw-Theory Based Methods in Robotics

1 -- 9 September 2012

University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy

http://www.summerscrews.org

The registration process for this year's Summer Screws is

nearing its end. Many have answered our first call and we will

have a full classroom in September. However, there are still a

few available places and we will be happy to welcome more

members of the robotics community in Genoa at the end of this

summer. We invite those interested to contact us as soon as

possible.

For its third edition, Summer Screws returns to the University

of Genoa. The high attendance and the enthusiastic feedback

from the first event in Genoa and the second in Shanghai

confirmed that this initiative provides a service that the

robotics community needs and values.

Summer Screws 2012 will gather six experts in the robotics

applications of screw theory, and up to 40 participants, at the

University of Genoa during the first week of September. The

summer school will teach attendees how to apply existing

methods and empower them to develop new ones in their own

research. The basic theoretical notions will be introduced in a

rigorous manner, with emphasis on examples, applications, and

exercises.

The main topics will be:

1. Basic vector-space properties of twists and wrenches:

physical interpretation of the linear operations; linear

dependence and independence, subspaces; bases and coordinates.

(Lecturer: Dimiter Zlatanov)

2. Scalar products, dual spaces, reciprocity. Constraint and

freedom in mechanisms. Constraint analysis, type synthesis of

single loop mechanisms, type synthesis of parallel

manipulators. (Lecturer: Xianwen Kong)

3. Velocity and singularity analysis of parallel and

interconnected-chain mechanisms. Derivation of input-output

velocity equations and singularity conditions. (Lecturers:

Matteo Zoppi and Dimiter Zlatanov)

4. Mappings between screw spaces, stiffness and inertia.

Structure of robot compliance. Eigenvalue problems and

eigenscrews. Synthesis with springs. (Lecturer: Harvey Lipkin)

5. 6D formulation of the dynamics of individual rigid bodies

and rigid-body systems. Equations of motion. Dynamics

algorithms.(Lecturer: Roy Featherstone)

6. Basic Lie group theory, matrix representations of the group

of rigid-body displacements.  Lie algebras as related to screw

theory. The exponential map and  its applications in modern

robotics (Lecturer: Jon Selig).

Up to 40 registrations are available at the price of 180 euro,

no later than 30 June, 2012.

Summer Screws 2012 is organized by the PMARlab Robotics Group,

Department of Mechanical Engineering, Energetics,

Transportation, and Mathematical Models (DIME), University of

Genoa with the support of the Italian Institute of Technology.

For more information visit the school's web page:

http://www.summerscrews.org

Sincerely yours,

Rezia Molfino, Matteo Zoppi, Dimiter Zlatanov