[robotics-worldwide] UJI Summer School on Perceptual Robotics for Humanoids

Enric Cervera ecervera at uji.es
Mon Jun 18 02:35:59 PDT 2012

Summer School on Perceptual Robotics for Humanoids

IURS-2012

12th International UJI Robotics School on Perceptual Robotics for Humanoids

http://www.robot.uji.es/lab/plone/iurs/iurs12

September, 17-21, 2012

Bonaire Hotel, Benicassim

SPAIN

*****

For the 12th edition of the IURS Summer School, the Robotic Intelligence Lab of Jaume-I University organizes a school on mechanisms for robot perception in humanoids and how they relate to higher cognitive skills such as learning by imitation, active perception, motor control, perception-action combination, interfacing, or end-user programming.

Lecturers:

Sylvain Calinon (Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Italy)

Emilia Barakova (Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Haris Dindo (Università degli Studi di Palermo, Italy)

Domenec Puig (Rovira i Virgili University, Spain)

Juan Francisco Blanes Nogueras (Instituto de Automatica e Informatica Industrial (ai2), Spain)

Filiberto Pla Bañon (Jaume-I University, Spain)

Enric Cervera (Jaume-I University, Spain)

Angel P. del Pobil (Universitat Jaume I, Spain)

Emilia Barakova (Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Haris Dindo (Università degli Studi di Palermo, Italy)

Ester Martinez-Martin (Jaume-I University, Spain)

Advances in computer engineering and artificial intelligence have led to design robots which assist people with a variety of tasks. On the way to those intelligent social robots, particularly humanoid ones, a key issue is how to perceive the environment to properly move and act on. In addition, there is significant interest in linking low-level sensory data to higher-level symbolic representations for a robot concerning how it should act in the world.  According to this trend, the school will provide to an audience with an engineering or computer science background, the basic insights about developing real-time perception strategies combined with efficient planning and robust execution, robot learning by imitation and robot programming through demonstration, robust algorithms for motor control and learning, gesture recognition, visuo-motor integration, as well as the technical requirements for including these robots in real-life applications. In addition, with the aim of making the most profit of this school, several laboratory sessions will allow all the assistants to put into practice the taught theoretical concepts on the NAO robot platform, by properly exploiting the generality and flexibility of this humanoid platform.  Students will have a unique training opportunity in this emergent and fast-evolving domain, closely interacting for one week with some of the top-level researchers in the world in this field, as well as with fellow students.

The school will take place in a cosy hotel on the Mediterranean coast.

Attendance is limited to 40 students. Registration fee, covering course material, accommodation and meals, is 550 euros. (Possible discounts for AERFAI members)

For further information and registration please see the webpage:

http://www.robot.uji.es/lab/plone/iurs/iurs12

Main topics of the school will be:

• Human-Robot Interaction:

-   User-friendly interfaces

-   Visual human recognition

-   Social cognition

-   End-user programming

• Robot Programming by Demonstration:

-   Machine learning

-   Computer Vision

-   Motor Control

•  Perception, Action and Learning Fusion:

-    Sensorimotor transormations

-   Generative and predictive models

-   Internal modelling of external world