[robotics-worldwide] Postdoc Position in Dynamics and Control for Walking, Running Robots

Jonathan Hurst jonathan.hurst at oregonstate.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:41:50 PDT 2012

The Dynamic Robotics Laboratory at Oregon State University seeks a
Postdoctoral Research Associate to join us in controlling highly
dynamic walking and running robots, designed for indoor and outdoor
tether-free 3D locomotion.  Machines will include a DARPA Robotics
Challenge entry and ATRIAS, a spring-mass bipedal robot.  No prior
experience with legged machines is necessary.  Experience with
balancing or fast-moving robots is preferred.

We plan to participate in the DARPA Robotics Challenge as a member of
a larger team including SRI International, Meka Robotics, The
University of Texas at Austin, University of Michigan, Stanford
University, and others.  The Dynamic Robotics Laboratory will lead the
control of legged locomotion for a new machine in this effort, using
concepts that are related to our existing ATRIAS robots.

In addition to work on the DARPA Challenge robot, the position will
involve working with members of the lab to implement 3D tether-free
bipedal walking and running with ATRIAS.  We will begin with 2D
control on ATRIAS 2.0, a monopod hopping robot.  This work will
transition into bipedal walking and running over rough terrain in 2D
and 3D with ATRIAS 2.1, a biped that will be constructed this fall.
More information on ATRIAS can be found on our lab web site:
http://mime.oregonstate.edu/research/drl/robots/atrias_2_0/

Required Skills:
Background in Control Theory
Experience implementing closed-loop control on physical hardware, such
as a robot with electric motors and encoders
Fluent English speaking skills
Demonstrated proficiency in writing, such as prior publications in
IEEE conferences or journals

Desired skills:
Experience managing a team of engineers
Proficiency with C/C++
Proficiency with Matlab

In addition to technical areas associated with the research project,
successful applicants can expect to gain experience in grant writing,
student supervision, and project management in a motivated, fun
laboratory environment.  Our work is highly collaborative, so
successful applicants can expect to work with other faculty and
industry partners in the robotics community as part of this position.

Applicants should send a cover letter briefly describing their
background and career plans, a CV, and the contact for several
references.  The position is open immediately and guaranteed for a
year, with a possible second year extension.  Please submit these
documents as PDF attachments to Dr. Jonathan Hurst:
jonathan.hurst at oregonstate.edu.  Members of the DRL will also be
attending CLAWAR 2012, and we plan to bring an ATRIAS monopod.  I
would be happy to meet potential applicants at the conference.

Jonathan W. Hurst
Assistant Professor
School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering
Oregon State University
204 Rogers Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331-6001

jonathan.hurst at oregonstate.edu