[robotics-worldwide] RSS 2012 Workshop on Algorithmic Frontiers in Medical Robotics (Call for Participation)

Dmitry Berenson berenson at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 29 16:19:26 PDT 2012

We are very excited to invite you to the RSS 2012 Workshop on
Algorithmic Frontiers in Medical Robotics: Manipulation in Uncertain,
Deformable, Heterogenous Environments!

The applications discussed will be primarily in the medical domain,
and the focus will be on the fundamental algorithms that enable these
applications. No previous experience with medical robotics necessary,
all are welcome!

The schedule (and all other information about the workshop) is now
posted on our website:

http://automation.berkeley.edu/RSS2012Workshop/

See below for more details:

Abstract

Medical robotics is a rapidly-growing field with new devices and
methods emerging from industry, academia, and the medical community.
One of the great frontiers in this field lies at the algorithmic
level. How can we model and simulate 3D deformable tissues? How do we
overcome the uncertainty inherent in surgical interventions? How can
we integrate motion planning and control with an intuitive user
interface? What advances in hardware can be enhanced with algorithmic
components? The purpose of this workshop is to bring together
researchers, engineers, and physicians studying the above questions
and also to discuss applications of methods in robotics to problems in
medicine.

Location, Date, and Time

The workshop will be held during the Robotics Science and Systems
(RSS) 2012 Conference in Sydney, Australia. The workshop will take
place on the mornings of July 9th and 10th.

Invited Speakers

Karol Miller (University of Western Australia)
Dimitris Metaxas (Rutgers University)
Sarthak Misra (University of Twente)
Stephane Cotin (University of Lille)
Allison Okamura (Stanford University)
Howard Chizeck (University of Washington)
Jacob Rosen (University of California Santa Cruz)
Noah Cowan (Johns Hopkins University)
Angelo Tsirbas, MD (Macquarie University)

We look forward to seeing you in Sydney!

Dmitry Berenson, UC Berkeley
Ron Alterovitz, UNC Chapel Hill
Pieter Abbeel, UC Berkeley
Ken Goldberg, UC Berkeley