[robotics-worldwide] CfP: ICRA 2012 Workshop on Semantic Perception and Mapping for Knowledge-enabled Service Robotics

Alper Aydemir aydemir at kth.se
Wed Mar 14 15:39:05 PDT 2012

Semantic Perception and Mapping for Knowledge-enabled Service Robotics
ICRA 2012, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA, May 18th, 2012
http://ias.in.tum.de/events/spmk-icra2012

Important Dates

* Submission Due: 15 April 2012
* Notification of Acceptance: 22 April 2012
* Final Submissions Due: 13 May 2012
* Workshop at ICRA 2012: 18 May 2012

All contributions must be submitted through EasyChair using:
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=spmk-icra2012

Motivation and objectives

Consider a robot that is to act as a household assistant in an unknown
kitchen environment. This robot has to acquire and use knowledge about
where the task-relevant objects, such as the dishwasher and the oven
are and how the robot can act on them. A recent advent of smart
devices (e.g. smart phones) and high-quality-low-cost sensors (e.g.
Kinect, Asus) provides us with the affordable resources for the robot
which link sensory information to the robot's knowledge base and
high-level deliberative components. Resources like this allow the
general-purpose service robots to e.g. query information from world
wide web, seek help from remote experts through shared autonomy
interfaces and to act independently and safely in human living
environments.
In this hands-on workshop we will identify key problems and solutions
by narrowing down the definition of semantics, we will discuss what is
the representative end world model as a result of semantic mapping,
single out the optimal sensors, consider static vs. dynamic aspects of
environment modeling and finally address the life-long learning in
order to leverage not only the sensor data but also from human living
patterns and behaviors. The workshop will feature excellent talks from
researchers from academia as well as industry, live demonstrations,
poster session and a working session with an aim to standardize some
fundamental concepts in semantic mapping.
More specifically, we will focus on the topics related to the following:

* Over the lifetime of its operation, how should a robot's semantic
mapping system build and maintain its knowledge about its
surroundings?
* What are the current obstacles to bring semantic mapping capabilities
to a mass-market robot?
* Which semantic mapping capabilities a robot shipped into homes today
would require?
* Should we have one general system to handle many robotic tasks or
should robotic systems be made for specific tasks?

Schedule

8.30 - 10.00: Intro + 2 invited talks
10.00 - 10.30: Coffee
10.30 - 12.00: Poster session
12.00 - 13.00: Lunch
13:00 - 14.30: 3 Invited talks
14.30 - 15.00: Coffee
15.00 - 16.30: Demo session
16.30 - 18.00: Discussion, Wrap-up, Post-discussion in the pub

Invited Speakers

* Patric Jensfelt, KTH, Stockholm / Michael Beetz, TUM, Munich - Introduction
* Moritz Tenorth, TUM, Munich - Knowledge-enabled mapping
* Richard Newcombe, Imperial College, London - Dense 3D models
* Martial Herbert, CMU, Pittsburgh - Discovering Object Instances from
Scenes of Daily Living
* Dieter Fox, University of Washington, Seatle - Recognition of
objects and scenes
* Ryan Hickman, Google Cloud Robotics, Mountain View - Semantic object
database (tentatively confirmed)
* Applications leveraging from semantic mapping (TBD)

Submissions

We solicit one-page A4 paper abstract submissions (formatted according
to the IEEE ICRA style) for the two types of presentations: posters
and live demonstrations, optionally accompanied by a video. Both will
be reviewed (not double-blind) by the program committee. We would
especially like to encourage live demos either during the poster
session or in a special demo session and plan to foster the discussion
between the participants in a plenary discussion. We plan to secure
one PR2 robot to be available during the demo session. Accepted papers
and videos will be archived at the Internet Archive. The authors of
the best submissions will be encouraged to extend their work to the
special issue of the Journal of Visual Communication and Image
Representation titled Visual Understanding and Applications with RGB-D
Cameras.
This is the second of two workshops at ICRA 2012 dealing with semantic
perception. The earlier workshop will focus on lower-level perception,
with an emphasis on RGBD sensors and 3D data, while this one will deal
with higher-level perception and knowledge representation.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

* Probabilistic environment modeling and representation (e.g. ontologies)
* Exploration strategies for semantic mapping and knowledge acquisition
* Strategies for active visual object search
* Semantics for long-term operation in dynamic environments
* Perceptual grounding for robots
* Classification and understanding of scenes
* Human activity recognition
* Perceived affordances of objects of daily use
* Usage of semantic maps and users’ perspective

Program Committee

* Kurt Konolige
* Jeanette Bohg
* Kevin Lai
* Kei Okada
* Federico Tombari
* Wolfram Burgard
* Moritz Tenorth
* Dov Katz
* Alvaro Collett
* Mike Krainin
* Markus Vincze
* Nico Blodow
* Jürgen Sturm

Organizers

Michael Beetz, TUM, Munich
Dejan Pangercic, TUM, Munich
Ben Pitzer, Bosch RTC, Palo Alto
Patric Jensfelt, KTH, Stockholm
Alper Aydemir, KTH, Stockholm
Bhaskara Marthi, Willow Garage, Menlo Park