[robotics-worldwide] CALL FOR ABSTRACTS for the RSS 2012 Workshop on Algorithmic Frontiers in Medical Robotics

Dmitry Berenson berenson at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 27 12:52:07 PDT 2012

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS for the RSS 2012 Workshop on Algorithmic Frontiers
in Medical Robotics: Manipulation in Uncertain, Deformable,
Heterogeneous Environments

When: July 9th and 10th, 2012

Where: Robotics Science and Systems (RSS) 2012, Sydney, Australia

Website: http://automation.berkeley.edu/RSS2012Workshop/

Submission deadline: May 1st, 2012

Medical robotics is a rapidly-growing field with new devices and
methods emerging from industry, academia, and the medical community.
Advances in hardware such as the Da Vinci system from Intuitive
Surgical, the recently-developed Raven open tele-surgery robots, and
robots for specialized procedures such as brachytherapy open up new
application areas.

This workshop will focus on the algorithmic challenges at the frontier
of medical robotics.  Example challenges include, but are by no means
limited to: How can we model and simulate 3D deformable tissues? How
do we robustly handle the uncertainty inherent to surgical
interventions? How can we integrate motion planning and control with
intuitive user interfaces and enable higher performance human-robot
collaboration? What recent and forthcoming advances in medical robot
hardware can be enhanced with algorithmic components? How do we most
effectively enable humans and medical robots to work side-by-side?

This workshop will bring together researchers, engineers, and
physicians to identify and discuss new opportunities for algorithms
and computation to advance the state of the art in medical robotics.
We will explore algorithms that improve the planning, control, and
effectiveness of existing systems as well as emerging devices. We will
also explore how improvements in modeling and simulation can enable
more accurate and robust pre- and intra-operative planning. Finally,
we will explore new algorithms for interfacing humans and medical
robots both at the high and low levels.

The workshop will include invited talks on the state of the art in
different areas of medical robotics research. The list of invited
speakers includes:

* Allison Okamura (Stanford University)
* Howard Chizeck (University of Washington)
* Jacob Rosen (University of California Santa Cruz)
* Karol Miller (University of Western Australia)
* Dimitris Metaxas (Rutgers University)
* Sarthak Misra (University of Twente)
* Cenk Cavusoglu (Case Western Reserve University)
* Stephane Cotin (University of Lille)

Submissions
--------------------

We solicit 2 page abstract submissions, optionally accompanied by a
video, both of which will be reviewed (not double-blind) by the
organizers. An interactive poster session will be organized if there
is a larger number of submissions. Accepted abstracts and videos will
be distributed on the workshop website.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

* Perception and modeling of anatomy
* Haptic and other user interfaces
* Perception/planning/control for deformable object manipulation
* Perception/planning/control of needle insertion/steering
* Planning and control in the presence of uncertainty
* New algorithms and hardware for surgical robotics
* New clinical applications for robotics
* Learning methods applied to medical robotics
* Human-robot interaction/collaboration in medical tasks
* Hardware advances that can be enhanced with algorithmic components

Abstracts should be in PDF, conform to the RSS regular conference
paper style guidelines, and be a maximum of 2 pages in length. Videos
should be in the MP4 format, 3-5 minutes in length, and easily viewed
with free video players (please try playing your video on a couple of
different machines before submitting).

Email submissions to: berenson at eecs.berkeley.edu. Please do not attach
video files to email; include a URL instead.

Important Dates

* Submission deadline: May 1st, 2012
* Notification of acceptance: May 21st, 2012

Organizers