[robotics-worldwide] Language Grounding in Robots workshop, ECAI 2012

Manfred Hild hild at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 29 05:29:40 PDT 2012

[if you received a previous mail with ECAL 2012 in the subject line
 then this was an error, it is of course a workshop within ECAI 2012]

CALL FOR PAPERS: Language Grounding in Robots
Satellite Workshop of the ECAI2012 conference, 27/28 August 2012,
Montpellier (France)
Workshop website: http://langrobo.fcg-net.org
Submission deadline: 28 May 2012, 23:59 CET

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION
--------------------
Robust and open-ended language grounding in robots is an extraordinarily
challenging research topic. State-of-the-art methodology demands a whole
systems approach for modeling, experimentation, and analysis. This workshop
brings together experts from different subfields, covering embodiment,
sensorimotor processing, perception, high-level knowledge processing and
representation, reasoning and communication, system integration, and more.

Within a prototypical experiment on language grounding, robots try to
achieve communicative goals through language, e.g., one robot may ask
another to perform a certain action, or draw its attention to an
object/event in the scene. The goal of this workshop is to discuss how a
whole-systems approach can be an all-encompassing framework which:
- (re-)integrates the findings of the aforementioned subfields
- leads to radical breakthroughs in all subfields
- makes technology transfer among subfields more efficient
- ensures compatibility and repeatability of results

The workshop will therefore appreciate partial solutions in the
aforementioned subfields of interest, if they have already been (or at least
could potentially be) integrated with other processing modules on a real
robot. We will highly encourage papers and presentations which include
working examples and real-world demonstrations.

CALL FOR PAPERS
---------------
Contributions are solicited on all aspects of the grand challenge of
language grounding on robots. They should preferably be based on mechanisms
that have been effectively implemented and demonstrated to work on real
robots. More specifically, submissions are solicited on the following
topics:
- Perception and motor control, grounded body models
- Behavioral control, evolving behaviors
- Computational formalisms for grounded rich semantics and grammar
- Language Game experiments
- Robust and open-ended human-robot and robot-robot interaction

All contributions must contain the following parts:
- An abstract of the work, including a motivation why the research is
relevant for grounding language on robots (max. 200 words)
- Type of submission: The workshop accepts the following submission types:
>> Poster: can be accompanied with a video or system demonstration
>> Presentation: contributors can either submit a paper that has already
been submitted elsewhere, or submit an extended abstract of 2 pages
>> Robot/system demonstration: short description of the platform
- (optional but highly encouraged) supplementary materials (e.g. link to
website with video materials, pictures, software, ...) for the reviewers

Submission:
You can submit your paper at langrob through the following link:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=langrobo2012

Submissions have to consist of a single PDF-file. You can optionally attach
a zip-file with supporting materials. However, the reviewers are not obliged
to take these supporting materials into account.

Deadline of submission is 28 May 2012, at 23h59 CET. For more information,
please contact us at langrobo at fcg-net.org.

Workshop Proceedings
---------------------
Accepted submissions will appear on the ECAI2012 workshop proceedings
website and on this website.

Organizers
----------
- Luc Steels (ICREA, Institute for Evolutionary Biology (UPF-CSIC),
Barcelona - Sony Computer Science Laboratory Paris)
- Manfred Hild (Neurorobotics Research Laboratory, Humboldt University
Berlin - Sony Computer Science Laboratory Paris)
- Remi van Trijp (Sony Computer Science Laboratory Paris)

Program Committee
(more members may be announced soon)
- Rachid Alami (LAAS, Toulouse)
- Michael Beetz (Technische Universität München)
- Tony Belpaeme (University of Plymouth)
- Fredrik Heintz (Linköpings Universitet)
- Manfred Hild (Neurorobotics Research Laboratory, Humboldt University
Berlin - Sony Computer Science Laboratory Paris)
- Marco Mirolli (ISTC-CNR, Rome)
- Pierre-Yves Oudeyer (INRIA, Bordeaux)