[robotics-worldwide] Public release of the Robot Construction Kit

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Wed May 9 06:48:02 PDT 2012

The Rock development team is proud to announce the official public
release of the Robot Construction Kit (Rock).

    http://rock-robotics.org

Rock is a software framework for the development of robotic systems. The
underlying component model is based on Orocos/RTT (Real Time Toolkit).
Rock provides all the tools required to set up and run high-performance
and reliable robotic systems for a wide variety of applications in
research and industry. It contains a rich collection of ready-to-use
drivers and modules for use in your own system, and can easily be
extended by adding new components. The framework was developed to
specifically address the following issues in existing solutions:

sustainable systems.
    The architecture and the tools in Rock are designed with
    long-running systems in mind. In practice this means that for us,
    error detection, reporting and handling are key in any robotic
    architecture.

scalability.
    Provide the tools to be able to manage big systems with minimum
    fuss. But we don't require you to learn about these (complex) tools
    right away: as soon as you use Rock's component development tool,
    oroGen, you have the guarantee that your components can be
    integrated - from simple scenarios using hard-coded C++ behaviors,
    to Ruby scripts, up to the complete system monitoring tools.

reusable code-base.
    Even though we think that the rock toolchain is one of the best out
    there, some other people might feel differently. And they might be
    right. That's why in Rock most of the functionality – from control
    to data display through to data processing – is implemented in a way
    that is totally independent from Rock's integration framework.
    That's right: just pick our drivers, localization algorithms and
    control loops and add them into your integration framework. You
    don't have to do anything on our side, as the code is completely
    independent from the integration parts.

Dive in with the
    installation
      http://rock-robotics.org/documentation/installation.html
    tutorials
      http://rock-robotics.org/documentation/tutorials/index.html
    and have a look at the framework functionality !
      http://rock-robotics.org/documentation/

So far, the development of the Robot Construction Kit has been supported
by the DFKI Robotics Innovation Center (http://www.dfki.de/robotics) in
Bremen, Germany. However, it is an open platform, so feel free to join.
Most packages in the Rock distribution are under an LGPL v2 or later
license.

The Rock Development Team
Contact: rock-dev at dfki.de