[robotics-worldwide] Medical robotics grant reminder: Intuitive Surgical research grant program for 2013.

Simon DiMaio Simon.DiMaio at intusurg.com
Tue May 15 22:35:50 PDT 2012

A quick reminder that letters of intent for the 2013 Intuitive Surgical technology research grant program are due on June 1st. Please see details below.

Questions? Please give me a shout.

Regards,
Simon

Dear Science & Engineering Researchers:

Intuitive Surgical is pleased to announce its 2013 grant programs for both clinical and technology research. You can find more information about these grants on our company website:
http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/company/educational-grants/
http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/company/educational-grants/technology_grants.html

In particular, I'd like to draw your attention to the technology research grants. The purpose of these grants is to support technology research in the field of surgical robotics, or related fields. The program is open to researchers at non-profit academic institutions worldwide and successful proposals will ideally address clinically-relevant technology development.

To start the grant proposal process, we are inviting letters of intent (up to 2-pages, as described on our website). Please send these to us by June 1st, 2012. Invitations to submit full grant proposals will be sent on July 1st, with a submission deadline of September 1st, 2012. Details of the selection criteria, grant conditions, and other guidelines, are available on our website.

2013 will be the fourth year that Intuitive will be offering Technology Research Grants; therefore, we are still novices when it comes to the grants process and would very much welcome your input. A brief FAQ is included at the end of this message, based on some of the common questions that we have been asked in previous years. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or queries regarding the program. Otherwise, we look forward to receiving your pre-proposals (letters of intent).

Regards,
Simon
Simon DiMaio, Ph.D.
Sr. Manager, Applied Research and Advanced Systems | Intuitive Surgical, Inc. |
1266 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 | tel 408.523.2309 | www.intusurg.com<http://www.intusurg.com/>

Frequently Asked Questions:

1) What kinds of research projects has Intuitive funded in the past?
        Prior projects have included the following topics:
            - Fluorescence and other novel imaging methods for guiding surgery.
            - Tissue characterization using electrical impedance measurements.
            - Tissue bonding without sutures.
            - High force micro-manipulation mechanisms.
            - Compact, yet dexterous mechanisms for minimally-invasive surgery.
            - Robotic mechanisms for intravenous injection.
            - Image-guided robotics.
- Novel tissue cutting and manipulation methods.
            - Use of intra-operative ultrasound for surgical navigation and monitoring.

2) Can I use the grant funds to pay a student stipend or postdoc salary?
        Yes, the funds can be used to pay salaries for students, postdocs, research engineers, faculty, or other staff that are directly involved in performing the research work. Funds may also be used for purchasing materials, supplies, and equipment, as well as for any prototyping costs associated with the project.

3) Does Intuitive pay overhead costs?
        Yes, we will pay overhead; however, due to the limited size of these grants, we require that you limit indirect costs to no more than 20%. The total costs, including both direct and indirect costs, as well as any applicable taxes, should not exceed $50,000 USD.

4) The guidelines indicate that grantees will be invited to present their project work and results in California. When will this happen and will Intuitive cover the cost of travel and accommodations?
        This year, we invited all of our grant winners to Sunnyvale for a Research Grant Symposium day in January. This was a great event for interacting with other grant recipients, as well as with researchers and engineers at Intuitive. We hope to repeat this symposium event annually and will cover travel costs for our grant winners.

5) The guidelines say that IP terms and conditions may apply. What does this mean?
        Most university sponsored research departments will require that a Sponsored Research Agreement be put in place prior to any sponsored project work. Intuitive uses a fairly standard agreement for this purpose and we try to use this consistently for all grant projects. The agreement includes confidentiality and liability terms to protect both the research institution, as well as Intuitive. In most cases, all intellectual property generated by the investigators during the course of the sponsored research work belongs to the institution. Intuitive does not typically request or claim ownership to this IP; however, in cases where projects require closer collaboration and joint research work with Intuitive, IP-sharing terms may need to be negotiated prior to the grant award.

---