[robotics-worldwide] PhD position on long-term visual mapping at University of Zaragoza, Spain

Juan Domingo Tardos tardos at unizar.es
Wed May 30 00:12:44 PDT 2012

Open position for PhD Student: Long-Term Visual Mapping
Robotics, Perception and Real-Time Group at the I3A, Universidad de
Zaragoza (Spain) is looking for PhD student candidates with excellent
academic qualifications and interest in pursuing a PhD in the context of the
RoboEarth European Project (http://www.roboearth.org/), devoted to create a
knowledge base where robots can share world models and action recipes.

How to apply
============
Please, send the following documentation to tardos.phd.position.12 at gmail.com:
1- C.V.
2- Motivation letter (career plan, motivation for PhD, statement of research
    interest)
3- Copy of original study certificates for your Degree and Master (if
    available), with list of subjects, grades, and scale (indicate min,
    max, and pass thresholds)
4- Copy of international publications, if available (max 3)
5- Two references, including its phone contact details

Deadline for application: June 30th, 2012
e-mail: tardos.phd.position.12 at gmail.com

Requirements:
=============
Academic:
- Excellent academic grades.
- Degree on Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics,
   Maths, Physics or similar.
- Master degree in these areas will be valuable but not imperative.

Background:
- Knowledge in robotics, computer vision and image processing.
- Good programming skills in C++ and Matlab.
- Previous experience in SLAM techniques will be valuable.

Details of Position
===================
Contract Type: Phd. Student Grant
Start Date: September, 2012
Duration in months: 48
Salary: As determined by regulations of the Spanish PhD Student
         Grants (around 1200€/month)
Place of Work: Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain.

Research Topic: LONG-TERM VISUAL MAPPING
This research work will consider the problem of long-term (or lifelong) visual
mapping
using monocular or stereo cameras. First, we will develop fast and robust place
recognition techniques, using recently proposed binary features, specially the
scale and rotation invariant ones. We will investigate which clustering or hashing
techniques are more appropriate in binary spaces, and analyze their performance
for loop closure and camera relocation using the bag-of-words technique.
Second, we will address the problems of long-term mapping; detection of changes in
the environment, map updating, removal of obsolete parts, and use of learning
techniques to identify stable versus instable areas of the environment. The goal
would
be having a robot to autonomously learn that areas such as desktops are prone
to change in appearance, and focus the relocation algorithms in the more stable
regions.

Prof. JUAN DOMINGO TARDOS
Universidad Zaragoza
Escuela de Ingeniería y Arquitectura