[robotics-worldwide] CFP: JFR Special Issue on Space Robotics - DUE IN ONE MONTH

David Wettergreen dsw at ri.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 8 08:04:48 PST 2012

[Scheduled submission date is in one month, December 7, 2012.  Please submit your manuscripts online.  Details at www.journalfieldrobotics.org ]

Journal of Field Robotics - Special Issue on Space Robotics

Space applications present many challenges to robotic systems: from extremes of temperature, vacuum, shock and gravity, to limitations on power and communication, from the intricate complexity of systems engineering, to requirements for reliability, robustness and autonomy.

The Journal of Field Robotics (JFR) announces its fourth special issue on space robotics to examine topics related to robots and space.  This biannual special issue will present and discuss the state of the art in space robots.

We invite papers that exhibit theory and methods applied to robotic systems in space including:
-  specification and evaluation of system concepts and designs;
-  effects of the space environment on robotic devices;
-  methods of relevant sensing, actuation, and mobility;
-  applications in manipulation, assembly, construction and excavation;
-  algorithms for localization and navigation, and task or mission planning;
-  techniques for safe and precise orbital maneuvering and landing;
-  experiments conducted in space or planetary analogue settings; and
-  analysis of human robot interaction and robot autonomy.

Papers for this special issue must provide technical descriptions of systems and results and analysis of experimentation.  We invite discussion and analysis of orbital robots/spacecraft and planetary rovers as well as prototype systems that have been field tested in terrestrial analogue environments.  Lessons learned in development and operation are pertinent to the discussion.

We encourage papers addressing all aspects of space robotic systems.  Our emphasis is on systems that fulfill a specific space-relevant application.  Robotic systems in Earth orbit, traveling in deep space, and operating on the surfaces of planets, moons, comets, or asteroids are of particular interest, as well systems envisioned for space application but developed and demonstrated in relevant environments here on Earth.

The JFR encourages multimedia content and this issue seeks inclusion of media illustrating system concept, experiments, and of course space operation.

Deadlines:
December 7, 2012 – Submit manuscripts
January 25, 2013 – Initial reviews completed
March 4, 2013 – Decisions and author notification
May 3, 2013 – Final manuscripts for publication

Authors interested can discuss submissions with the special issue editors
Michel van Winnendael, < Michel.van.Winnendael at esa.int> or David Wettergreen <dsw at ri.cmu.edu>