[robotics-worldwide] IEEE RAS-Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (RAS-SIGHT)

Raj Madhavan madhavan.ieeeras at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 07:04:12 PDT 2012

A new RAS-Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (RAS-SIGHT)
was approved by the Society's AdCom at ICRA in St. Paul in May 2012. In
September 2012, the IEEE Humanitarian Ad Hoc Committee (HAHC) approved
the formation of RAS-SIGHT.

A brief history of HAHC and SIGHT: In 2011, a new Humanitarian AdHoc
Committee was constituted and was charged with a mandate of bringing out
a strategy for Humanitarian Activities in IEEE. The Board of Directors
of IEEE approved the formation of an affinity group for humanitarian
activities. These affinity groups have taken the form of SIGHTs and RAS
is the first Society to have a SIGHT!

In the first year, we will strive towards achieving the following
objectives:
* Provide a forum to assess the state-of-the-art on how robotics and
automation technology can aid in humanitarian causes
* Bring together our Society's research and industrial members to
participate in RAS-SIGHT activities
* Work with student representatives and members of the Society to
formulate robotics-oriented humanitarian competitions, challenges,
educational and co-op opportunities

We welcome participation from members of the Society and anyone who is
interested in applying R&A technologies for humanitarian causes. Your
valuable input and thoughts are much needed!

An RAS-SIGHT meeting will be held at IROS'12 on *October 10th from 10-11
AM*. Please send an email if you are interested in participating in
RAS-SIGHT activities and/or attending the meeting to: Dr. Raj Madhavan,
Chair, RAS-SIGHT <raj.madhavan at ieee.org>.

--
Raj Madhavan, Ph.D.

Vice President, Industrial Activities Board
Chair, Standing Committee for Standards Activities
Chair, RAS-SIGHT (Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Activities)
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society
http://ieee-ras.org/industrial
http://ieee-ras.org/industrial/standards

Institute for Systems Research, University of Maryland College Park
&
Intelligent Systems Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology
http://www.isr.umd.edu/faculty/gateways/madhavan.htm
http://www.nist.gov/el/isd/ks/madhavan.cfm

Tel: (301) 975-2865 Fax: (301) 990-9688
Email: madhavan.ieeeras at gmail.com