[robotics-worldwide] Open Robotic Grasper Mechanical Engineer Position at Altius Space Machines to Post on Robotics-worldwide
pbolton at altius-space.com
Mon Sep 17 16:21:04 PDT 2012
Are you a robot hand virtuoso looking to take your skills to entirely new
heights? Always wanted to work on a "tractor beam"? Want to make
science-fiction become science-fact?
Altius Space Machines is accepting applications for an Open Robotic Grasper
Mechanical Engineer. Candidates who are passionate about space, highly
self-directed and self-motivated, and who are interested in changing the
world and having a lot of fun doing so, please see the description,
qualifications and application process below.
* JOB DESCRIPTION
Conceptualize, design, and build mechanical systems and components for a
family of novel underactuated robotic grasping systems being developed for
space applications of satellite servicing, removal of orbital debris, and
non-cooperative rendezvous and docking for deliveries to space facilities.
Support other engineering efforts at Altius as opportunities arise.
- Experience conceptualizing, designing, and prototyping robotic
hands/graspers, especially underactuated compliant grasping mechanisms
- Mechanical/mechanism design experience, including kinematic
- Personal experience fabricating parts with machine shop and/or rapid
- General mechanical aptitude; understanding of design processes (proper
concept generation and selection based on mechanism requirements)
- Significant CAD experience, preferably SolidWorks
- Good teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills
- experience with structural and dynamic analysis (FEA, modal analysis,
multibody dynamics simulation, etc. using SolidWorks Simulation, MATLAB
Simulink and SimMechanics, and/or Adams Multibody Dynamics Simulation, etc.)
- experience with other mechatronics systems including electromechanical
- basic protoype-level electronic skills
- basic programming and/or embedded programming skills (C, C++, and/or
- experience preparing part/drawings for manufacture (specific familiarity
and experience with ASME Y14 digital definition, tolerancing and
dimensioning standards would be helpful)
- robotic force closure and robotic control experience
would each be a plus.
U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency required.
* APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Please send cover letter, with resume, to
resumes at altius-space.comdescribing the unique way your qualifications
and interests match this
position. Please include a descriptive photo portfolio of previous robotic
graspers you have designed and built.
* ABOUT ALTIUS
Altius Space Machines is a Louisville, Colorado, USA based space technology
company that is developing rendezvous and docking solutions based around
its Sticky Boom(tm) "mechanical tractor-beam" technology. This technology,
which enables firmly connecting to any object in space, will not only
revolutionize the way space station deliveries are made, but also enable
exciting new capabilities including satellite servicing, space debris
removal, and extraterrestrial sample return missions.
More information about the robotics-worldwide