[robotics-worldwide] Thymio II educational robot: a new open, low-cost and extremely flexible tool
Francesco.Mondada at epfl.ch
Thu Sep 20 00:46:49 PDT 2012
EPFL, Mobsya, écal and ETH Zürich are happy to announce the availability of the Thymio II educational robot and the latest version of the Aseba framework.
This release encompasses:
- a low-cost open-hardware robotic platform called Thymio II, see http://www.thymio.org
- the Aseba open-source robot programming framework, see https://aseba.wikidot.com/en:description
- the Aseba Studio environment, allowing both text-based and graphical programming
- a bridge to ROS, see an example under http://ros.org/wiki/thymio_navigation_driver
- a large set of examples on how to use the platform and tools
- a wiki-based documentation in English, French, German and Spanish.
Thymio II targets educational activities with kids, allowing them to use the robot to animate their creations, such as dragons, parrots or robotic helicopters. Developed by a team of the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), the Ecole d'Art de Lausanne (écal), the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich) and the Mobsya association in the framework of the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) "Robotics", Thymio II was distributed to more than 1000 children in Switzerland and is now available for worldwide order.
More information about the robotics-worldwide