[robotics-worldwide] 8 faculty posts at The University of Sheffield

Roderich Gross r.gross at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 06:20:22 PDT 2013

**
Dear colleagues,

there are 8 faculty posts available at the University of Sheffield and
robotics is among the key areas.

Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Chair in Control and Systems Engineering
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield - Faculty of Engineering
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 22 April 2013

Automatic Control and Systems Engineering (ACSE) is one of the largest
departments devoted to the subject in Europe, with 23 academic staff, 30
research staff, 20 professional and support staff and nearly 400 taught
and research students. We are an internationally leading research
department with a vibrant culture spanning all aspects of Systems and
Control Engineering. Our research addresses many of the complex issues
of modern life including problems in the life-sciences and healthcare,
aerospace and transport, energy and the environment, manufacturing and
robotics and, more recently, social policy. Our approach to these
challenges focuses on generic theoretical developments in complex
systems with an overarching emphasis on autonomy and decision-making.
Our underpinning research themes are: modelling and simulation, control
and optimisation, sensing and actuation, signal processing and decision
support, and, of course, systems engineering. Together, these provide a
fertile environment for strategic, multi-disciplinary collaborations
with leading academic groups and major industrial partners.

The post offers you the opportunity to join our vibrant and expanding
department where you will carry out your research at the highest levels
in one or more areas of Systems and Control Engineering to either
consolidate or expand our current portfolio. Research plans involving
grand challenges and UK strategic priorities and having strong potential
for funding and impact (academic or industrial) are of particular interest.

As a Professor in ACSE you will be expected to attract substantial
research funding, supervise research students and staff, publish your
work in the highest quality journals, teach to the highest standards and
contribute to the leadership and smooth running of the department and
university. Your international reputation and professional standing will
reflect our values and strengths, here and abroad. We will provide an
environment conducive to all aspects of your work and appropriate
professional and technical support.

You should have a PHD (or equivalent experience) in a relevant area.

More information:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AGF112/lecturer-in-control-and-systems-engineering/
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AGF121/senior-lecturer-in-control-and-systems-engineering/
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AGF101/chair-in-control-and-systems-engineering/

Five more faculty posts - also related to robotics - available in the
Department of Mechanical Engineering:

Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Sheffield - Faculty of Engineering
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 22 April 2013

Engineering has always been at the very heart of Sheffield and the
Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield is
one of the UK's leaders in the field. We are committed to maintaining
that position at the forefront in both teaching and research. We have
ambitious plans to grow the Department both in student numbers and
academic staff. Recruiting the very best people is central to our strategy.

Our internationally recognised success affords us the opportunity to
invite applications for 5 unique academic positions. These academic
posts are open to outstanding individuals in any area of Mechanical
Engineering for appointment at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level.    We
can consider any area of mechanical engineering, but have a preference
Manufacturing/Robotics/Solid Mechanics/Composites/ Aerospace Structures/
Aerospace Engineering. The post holder will have the personal capacity
to make a significant contribution to the Department, the Faculty, and
the University, as a research-led academic.

We will  also favourably  consider  research  groups  wishing  to
relocate,  and  can  provide a balance of posts at the right level,
support and facilities necessary to assist with this move.

The key criterion for selection is your personal capacity to make an
outstanding contribution to the Department, Faculty, and the University,
as a research-led academic.

Establishing your research quickly will be a priority. To support you in
achieving this, each post will receive an attractive package, including:

  * an open-ended appointment at an attractive salary.
  * an allocation of funded PhD places to support your research.
  * a generous research start-up grant (negotiable depending on
    appointment level)
  * reduced teaching and administrative duties for the first 2 years.
  * access to a mentoring scheme tailored to suit your individual needs.
  * priority access to new laboratory space that is being commissioned.

We would also favourably consider research groups wishing to relocate,
and we can tailor packages to suit the circumstances.

More information:
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AGF162/senior-lecturer-lecturer-5-positions/

--
Roderich GROSS, PhD SMIEEE
Lecturer and Head of the Natural Robotics Lab