[robotics-worldwide] SLAM/Perception Opening at Clearpath Robotics

Ryan Gariepy rgariepy at clearpathrobotics.com
Mon Apr 15 09:43:34 PDT 2013

Position: Autonomy Engineer - Perception
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 1-5 Years Relevant Work Experience
Education: Graduate Degree in Related Field

About Us: Clearpath Robotics Inc. specializes in the design and manufacture
of unmanned vehicle systems, software, and components for academic and
industrial research and development.  Our clients range from small local
businesses to some of the best known technical institutions on the planet.
 Based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Clearpath Robotics employs highly talented
people who live and breathe robotics.  We believe that work must have a
high “cool” factor, and we’re looking for people who share in our passion
to create remarkable products and change the world.

About the Job: Our engineering services team is in high demand finding new
ways to automate away our clients' problems, and we have more point clouds
to process and states to estimate than ever. We need more people on our
team to bring the state of the art to practical applications. Clearpath,
our partner companies, and our clients are making tremendous advances in
robotics, and we want you to be a part of it!

You will stay on top of recent developments in SLAM, perception algorithms,
and sensing technology. You should be familiar with common open-source
middleware and libraries like ROS, OpenCV, Gazebo, and PCL, because
Clearpath's development team relies on these on a daily basis. You may be
responsible for contributing back to these libraries. You'll work to
evaluate and implement the state of the art in perception algorithsm in a
wide variety of practical applications for clients who we're not permitted
to name in this very public job description. Additionally, you'll spend
time improving our research products by building new demos and attending
conferences. You'll likely spend warm summer days driving robots around
outside (cold winters too; this is Canada after all).

Your primary responsibilities will be:
-Custom SLAM and perception technology development and testing
-Evaluation of new algorithms and sensing technology
-Assisting with concept development for new products and projects

Additional tasks may include:
-Demo development and testing
-Mentoring and assisting with supervision of interns
-Open-source contributions to the ROS/PCL/Gazebo community
-Attending tradeshows and conferences

About You: You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams
huge.  You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never
satisfied with a project left half-done.  You want to be surrounded by
people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work.
 You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on
challenging and rewarding problems.   Oh, and you have some form of higher
education with the common sense to back it up.

Required Skills:
-Graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in engineering/CS or a related field,
with applicable background
-Practical and theoretical knowledge of state estimation, perception, and
SLAM techniques
-Strong software development skills (C, C++, Python preferred)
-Proficiency with Linux
-Excellent teamwork/communication skills
-Ability to independently develop software development plans, including
timelines and test procedures
-Comfortable with abrupt changes to project deadlines, job responsibilities
and the local gravity field

Bonus points for:
-ROS, Gazebo, PCL, and MATLAB experience
-Hands-on experience with autonomous systems
-Ability to diagnose broken robots by their sounds and smells
-Experience with git/other DVCS systems
-Understanding of sensor error modeling, particularly laser rangefinders
and vision systems

Next Steps: Apply here: (
http://www.jobscore.com/jobs/clearpathrobotics/autonomy-engineer-perception/aBz2FuCuSr4Ot6eJe4egig?name=Robotics+Worldwide+Digest&sid=69).
Please submit a cover letter along with relevant testimonials, conference
papers, journal articles, source code, portfolio media, and references or
other indications of exceptional past experience.

--

*Ryan Gariepy* | Clearpath Robotics, Inc.

148 Manitou Dr., Suite 101B Kitchener, Ontario N2C 1L3 Canada

*T: * +1 (800) 301-3863 x802 | *F:** *+1 (888) 374-0091 <1-888-374-0091> | *
E:** *rgariepy at clearpathrobotics.com | *W:* www.clearpathrobotics.com**

*
*

*Your Unmanned Experts **TM***

*
*

This electronic communication (including any attachments) is CONFIDENTIAL
AND LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying,
circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Thank you.