[robotics-worldwide] Call for Papers and Live Demonstrations: RSS 2013 2nd Workshop on Resource-Efficient Integration of Perception, Control, and Navigation for Micro Air Vehicles (MAVs)

Achtelik Markus markus.achtelik at mavt.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 16 10:11:12 PDT 2013

INVITATION:

Our apologies if you receive duplicates of this posting.

RSS2013 2nd Workshop on Resource-Efficient Integration of Perception,
Control,
and Navigation for Micro Air Vehicles (MAVs)

http://rss2013_uav.visual-navigation.com

Important Dates:
€ Extended abstracts due:     May  3, 2013
€ Notification of acceptance: May 17, 2013
€ Final submission:           May 31, 2013
€ Workshop:                   Jun 28, 2013

We encourage the submissions of live demos and working systems.

Extended abstracts about one or multiple topics of the workshop should be
submitted byemail to rss-workshop-perception at dlr.de by May 03, 2013.

See submission details on
http://rss2013_uav.visual-navigation.com/submission.html
The wide availability of small and cheap flying platforms (e.g.
quadrotors) in
combination with advances in embedded systems, high density batteries and
lightweight sensors has made small UAS very attractive for a wide range of
applications like area surveillance, asset inspection, mapping or search
and
rescue. The compact size and small weight also make them easier to deploy,
both
due to their high portability and because obtaining an operational permit
is
typically easier for such systems.

The goal of the workshop is to collect current state-of-the art solutions
the aforementioned issues. Our key interests lie in the latest
developments in
the area of robust integration of perception with control and planning of
the
highly dynamic motion of resource-limited flying platforms. We are also
interested in new developments in the field of internal environment
representation and collaborative approaches in perception and exploration.
Topics	include, but are not limited to:

€ Robust and accurate perception from limited sensing on light-weight,
resource-limited systems (e.g. fusion approaches with an emphasis on
error-tolerance and extension of the dynamic range observable)
€ Planning and control approaches for highly dynamic systems to cope with
the disadvantages of limited sensing on small platforms
€ Interaction between internal representation and low-/high-level control
for scalable action generation under degrading perceptive conditions
€ Integration of perception with action/reaction approaches towards
improved
performance and safety in small unmanned systems
€ Collaborative multi-system approaches to perception and perception/action
solutions for planning and control of unmanned systems with limited
sensing.
€ Novel sensor designs and sensing strategies integrated into
resource-limited mobile autonomous systems.

We are looking forward to your contributions

The Organizers (Darius Burschka, Roland Siegwart, Michael Suppa, Markus
Achtelik, and Korbinian Schmid)