[robotics-worldwide] ICRA Tutorial on Open-Source Hand Fabrication - Registration Requested

Aaron Dollar aaron.dollar at yale.edu
Wed Apr 17 01:23:23 PDT 2013

We would like to remind potential attendees to register for our ICRA
tutorial by sending an email to Lael Odhner (lael.odhner at yale.edu) by April
22. Please note that we do not have access to the list of attendees who
indicated interest through the ICRA registration site, so please confirm
your attendance via email so that we know how many people to bring finger
hardware kits for.

Note that we will donate a complete version of the hand to the research lab
of one lucky attendee randomly selected from the registration list.

We look forward to seeing you in Karlsruhe!

The original announcement:

We would like to invite ICRA attendees to participate in our half-day
tutorial on the afternoon of Monday, May 6th. This hands-on session will
focus on walking participants through the process of fabricating a complete
version of our open-source adaptive robotic hand based on the SDM Hand [1]
design. The hand, which is the first in a series of modular hands/fingers
that our lab plans to release, can be completely fabricated using a
combination of 3D-printed parts (FDM is recommended) and off-the-shelf
components for between $400-$700 (depending on how printed parts are
fabricated), and requires fairly minimal effort for post-processing and
assembly. The design and fabrication process of the hand are described in
detail in an accompanying ICRA 2013 conference paper [2].

Tutorial website: http://www.eng.yale.edu/grablab/icra2013/

Hand performance demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k8kBe9S3BY

Tutorial participants will work in groups to fabricate the OpenHand Model T
Hand (performance video above), our first open-source hand release,
available online at:

http://www.eng.yale.edu/grablab/openhand/model_t.html

Additional modular finger designs will be forthcoming within the month, and
eventually more dexterous hand configurations. The hand designs are made
freely available for non-commercial applications.

The goal is to have participants leave the tutorial fully trained to
fabricate the complete hand at their home university. During the tutorial,
emphasis will be placed on walking participants through the "trickier"
phases of the fabrication process, including:

.         Degassing and pouring urethane finger pads and flexures

.         Precisely installing press-fit pins

.         Drilling guided holes into 3D printed parts (likely just video
demonstration)

.         Assembly of 3D printed parts

.         Calibrating 3D printed models to compensate for variability in 3D
printers (if necessary)

Participants may keep the sample parts they create during the tutorial as
examples for future reference.

To sign up for this workshop, please follow the instructions on the tutorial

website:

http://www.eng.yale.edu/grablab/icra2013/

Due to the hands-on nature of this tutorial, registration may be limited.
Anyone registering before April 22nd will be entered in a drawing for a
complete Model T Hand donated to your research lab by the organizers.

We look forward to seeing you in Karlsruhe!

Regards,

-          Lael Odhner, Raymond Ma, and Aaron Dollar (Yale University GRAB
Lab)

[1] Aaron M. Dollar and Robert D. Howe, "The Highly Adaptive SDM Hand:
Design and Performance Evaluation," International Journal of Robotics
Research, vol. 29(5), pp. 585-597,2010.
(http://www.eng.yale.edu/grablab/pubs/Dollar_IJRR2010.pdf)

[2] Raymond R. Ma, Lael U. Odhner, and Aaron M. Dollar, "A Modular,
Open-Source 3D Printed Underactuated Hand," proceedings of the 2013 IEEE
International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2013), Karlsruhe,
Germany, May 6-10, 2013.
(http://www.eng.yale.edu/grablab/pubs/Ma_ICRA2013.pdf)

Aaron M. Dollar

John J. Lee Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials
Science

Yale University

office: (203) 436-9122

aaron.dollar at yale.edu