[robotics-worldwide] CfP for RSS 2013 Workshop on Proposals for experimental protocols for Robotics Research

Fabio Bonsignorio fabio.bonsignorio at uc3m.es
Sun Apr 21 15:41:56 PDT 2013

Apologies for multiple postings

Dear All,

You are kindly invited to the the Workshop  on Proposals for
experimental protocols for Robotics Research to be held at RSS 2013,
http://roboticsconference.org,  in Berlin on June 27th.

http://www.heronrobots.com/EuronGEMSig/gem-sig-events/proposals-for-experimental-protocols-rr

This workshop aims to contribute to define viable procedures for the
replication of robotics research results and the best practice to
conduct experiments. As part of the experimental protocols we include
the procedures, data, code and hardware description. In the past years
a number of ideas on the topic have been proposed. The meeting will
consist of a guided discussion on the alternatives and will try to
reach a consensus on how to conduct significant experiments and make
them replicable. We will invite some of the former participants that
proposed the most promising ideas and results in order to contribute
with methodological proposals and practical examples. We will look for
novel concepts by means of a peer-reviewed open call. The workshop
will provide a few examples of replicable experiments which will be
made publicly available.

In recent years the interest in experimental methodologies increased
dramatically within the robotics community, both from researchers,
aiming at more grounded and fast research advancement, and from public
funding agencies, according to the idea that good experimental
activities could reduce the gap between research and industrial
applications.

We believe that at this point we have mainly to agree on a number of
conventions, on data set, on code identification or sharing procedure,
on hardware identification or open sourcing, experimental ‘protocols’
etc.,   to facilitate result exchange and comparison.

The best contributions will be invited to submit to a refereed edited
book with extended materials to allow replication.

If you are interested please submit an abstract (1-2 pages) in  IEEE format.

All the best
Fabio, Angel and John

IMPORTANT DATES:
 May 21 – Submission Deadline
 May 28 – Acceptance Notification
 June 27  – Workshop

Contact person for all questions that may arise:

Fabio Bonsignorio

Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Avda. Universidad, 30
28911 Leganés, Spain
Tel: +34 916246014
fabio.bonsignorio at uc3m.es

Organizers:

Fabio Bonsignorio
IEEE Senior member
Past Board Member European Robotics
Network EURON - Founding Past Director euRobotics aisbl

Co-Chair IEEE-TC PEBRAS
Co-Chair Euron SIG on Good Experimental Methodologies and Benchmarking
Professor, Banco de Santander Chair
of Excellence in Robotics
fabio.bonsignorio at uc3m.es
CEO
Heron Robots srl
V.R.Ceccardi 1/18, 16121 Genova,
Italy,
Tel: +39-339-8406011,
fabio.bonsignorio at heronrobots.com

Angel P. del Pobil, Ph.D,
Past Board Member European Robotics
Network EURON
Co-Chair IEEE-TC PEBRAS
Co-Chair Euron SIG on Good Experimental Methodologies and Benchmarking
Professor, Department of Engineering and Computer Science, Universitat Jaume I
Director, UJI Robotic Intelligence
Laboratory
12071 Castellon, Spain,
Tel:+34-964-728293,
pobil at icc.uji.es

John Hallam,
Past Board Member European Robotics Network EURON - Founding Director
euRobotics aisbl
Co-Chair Euron SIG on Good Experimental Methodologies and Benchmarking
Mærsk-McKinney Møller Institute,
University of Southern
Denmark,
Odense, Denmark,