[robotics-worldwide] Call for participation, the 8th iCub Summer School

Giorgio Metta Giorgio.Metta at iit.it
Wed Apr 24 00:29:14 PDT 2013

Dear roboticists,
This is a call for participation for Veni Vidi Vici 2013, the eighth iCub Summer School.   The school is a hackathon
for robotics researchers interested in any combination of  humanoids, free software, open-source hardware, and
Italian beaches.  Those who would like to participate should email their name, affiliation, and a CV (or
relevant website URL) to:
  vvv13-admin at icub.org
no later than:
  May 25th, 2013
Places are limited. Your application will be acknowledged within two business days, and notification of placement
will be made on May 30th, 2013.  If placed, you will be expected to register and pay by June 17th, 2013. The
school website is available at:
  http://www.icub.org/summerschool
Best regards,
  The VVV 2013 team

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

VVV 2013, the Eighth iCub Summer School

Aim:
The iCub Summer School, "Veni Vidi Vici", serves to consolidate and disseminate skills in software engineering
for humanoid robots. Our goal is to foster long-lived academic collaboration on robot software across the
boundaries and lifetimes of individual projects. The iCub summer school is a peer-to-peer event; there are
no lectures, and no strict division of instructors and students. All participants are expected to be competent
C/C++ programmers with an interest in working with others (and an agenda of their own). The school
schedule will be organized flexibly around informal tutorials from participants on modules they are working on
or interested in.

Format:
The school is structured as a series of hands-on practical laboratory sessions, and informal talks.  Two full iCub
humanoids will be available for participants to work with. We will have a dedicated local network, with wireless.
Participants are expected to bring their own laptop.

Topics:
Motor control, robot design, image processing, communication, software engineering, machine learning,
free software, open-source hardware.

Location:
This year the school will be hosted at the Mediaterraneo Foundation in Sestri Levante, Liguria, Italy.  See the
school website for venue details.  Comments on this venue from other years -

  Nieves: A really beautiful experience! One of the best in my life. I have learnt a lot about robotics, humanity and
  friendship! Thank you very much!

  Serena: my first iCub summer school .. really hope the first of many! I had so much fun, thanks to all!

  Giacomo: Great experience! I really enjoyed accessing such advanced robots, and working together with great guys.
  The location was beautiful too.

  Federico: I will never forget this experience. A unique experience for life!! Working with a complete
  free-software/hardware humanoid robot it's an honor, and also in this nice place with great, friendly, collaborative
  and enthusiastic people with such a weather. Just amazing. I would like to give a lot of thanks to the organizers,
  they did a great job again. (And the food was the great!).  And ..., and... . Hope to see you soon!

  Alexis: Such an amazing time with such wonderful people! Interesting discussions, helpful and giving people and an
  awesome location. :) Thanks everyone! It was a good time living deeply and intensively, just what I needed! I hope to
  see you again soon. Pura vida!

  Zenon: thank you for organizing this great summer school and putting so much time and effort into it....so much to learn
  and so much fun at such an awesome spot! viva vvv for many more years to come!

Timetable:
We begin the school in the morning of Monday, July 15 2013, and finish in the evening of Wednesday, July 24 2013 (with
people leaving during Thursday, July 25 2013). Sunday the 21st will be a free day (individual participants may
choose an alternate free day).

Cost:
The summer school registration fee is 1400 euro. This fee includes the school itself, food, and accommodation. Rooms
are shared between two people. A single room is 400 euro extra (and subject to availability).

Our sponsors:
This year, the school is sponsored by the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia and by the CoDyCo project.
  http://www.iit.it/icub
  http://www.codyco.eu/

Giorgio Metta <giorgio.metta at iit.it>

Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia