[robotics-worldwide] ETH Zurich Postdoc Positions in Bio-Inspired Soft Robotics

Iida Fumiya fumiya.iida at mavt.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 1 13:16:05 PDT 2013

Open Postdoc Positions

Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory
Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
(ETH Zurich) Switzerland

http://www.birl.ethz.ch/

Postdoc positions are available at Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory, Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ), Switzerland. We seek strong candidates who have experiences in the research area of bio-inspired and soft robotics.

Applicants should have a PhD degree in one of the closely related areas (e.g. robotics, mechanical, electrical, control engineering, material science, and physics). The priority will be given to the candidates with strong background and experiences in one or more of the following research areas:

- Design, modeling and control of dynamic (legged) robots
- Design and control of variable stiffness/impedance actuators
- Design and control of tendon-driven and musculoskeletal robots
- Neuroscience and biomechanics of musculoskeletal models
- Modeling and simulation of soft body structures
- Design and fabrication of robots with unconventional materials
- Self-reconfigurable and assembly robots

These positions are fully funded and available immediately. The salary level depends on your experience and performance (generally very competitive at ETHZ). We expect the main duty of these positions to be not only research activities, but also management of ongoing projects and student supervision.

To apply, please send an email to (application at birl.mavt.ethz.ch) with your cv, a brief introduction of your research background, career plans, and contact information of professional references. The selection process will be closed as soon as the positions are filled.

Brief Description of the BIRL:
The research interests of the Bio-Inspired Robotics Lab lie at the intersection of robotics and biology. Through abstraction of the design principles of biological systems, we develop core competences which are the design and control of dynamic mechatronics systems, bionic sensor technologies, and computational optimization techniques. Our main goals are to contribute to a deeper understanding of adaptivity and autonomy of animals through the investigation of dynamic robots, and to engineer novel robotic applications which are more adaptive, resilient, and energy efficient. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.birl.ethz.ch/

--
Fumiya IIDA Dr. sc. nat.
SNF Professor
Email: iidaf at ethz.ch