[robotics-worldwide] Call for Papers: 1st International Workshop on Solutions for Automatic Gaze Data Analysis (CITEC/Bielefeld University)

Kai Essig kai.essig at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Aug 12 02:31:46 PDT 2013

[Apologies for multiple postings.]

2. Call for papers and challenge contributions:

SAGA 2013: 1st INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON SOLUTIONS FOR AUTOMATIC GAZE
DATA ANALYSIS -
uniting academics and industry.

24-26 October 2013 Bielefeld University, Germany
Workshop Website: http://saga.eyemovementresearch.com/

The SAGA 2013 workshop is accepting abstracts for two calls: Challenge
Contributions as well as Oral Presentation or Posters.
We are currently pursuing possible options for publication of a special
issue in a journal or as an edited volume.

================================================================================================================================================================

Important Dates:

1. Oral presentation / poster call:

August, 23, 2013: Deadline for abstract submissions.
September, 6, 2013: Notification of acceptance for talks and posters.

2. Challenge:

August, 23, 2013: Deadline for 2-page preliminary abstract sketching
your approach.
September, 6, 2013: Notification of acceptance for challenge.
October, 2, 2013: Submission of the final abstracts and final results.

October, 24-26, 2013: Workshop takes place at Bielefeld University, Germany.

===============================================================================================================================================================

Invited keynote speakers from academia and industry:

Marc Pomplun, UMASS Boston, United States of America
Ben Tatler, University of Dundee, Scotland
Michael Schiessl, Managing Director of EyeSquare (User & Brand Research)
in Berlin, Germany
Andreas Enslin, Head of Miele Design Centre in Gütersloh, Germany
Ellen Schack, v. Bodelschwinghian Foundations of Bethel in Bielefeld,
Germany

===============================================================================================================================================================
We are very pleased to publish this second call for challenge
contributions and abstracts for SAGA 2013, the 1st International
Workshop on Automatic Annotation of  Gaze Videos. SAGA 2013 will focus
on automatic solutions for the automatic annotation of gaze videos and
research work on eye movement analysis in natural environments as a
trailblazer for mobile eye-based interaction and eye-based
context-awareness. We are providing a forum for researchers from
human-computer interaction, context-aware computing, robotics, computer
vision and image processing, psychology, sport science, eye tracking and
industry to discuss techniques and applications that go beyond classical
eye tracking and stationary eye-based interaction. We want to stimulate
and explore the creativity of these communities with respect to the
implications, key research challenges, new techniques and application
areas. The long-term goal is to create a strong interdisciplinary
research community linking these fields together and to establish the
workshop as the premier forum for research on automatic annotation of
gaze videos.
===============================================================================================================================================================

Submissions:

Abstracts will be peer-viewed by at least two members of an
international program committee. Word and LaTex templates for the
submissions are now available on the workshop website and the
registration is open.

1. Oral presentation / poster call:    #

We are calling for 500-word abstracts on topics related to real-world
eye tracking and eye movement analyses. Possible topics include, but are
not limited to, eye tracking in human-machine interaction, visual
search, language processing, eye-hand coordination, marketing,
automatized tasks, and decision making.

Please note: All accepted contributions must register for the workshop.

################
2. Challenge:  #
################

In order to drive research on software solutions for the automatic
annotation of gaze videos we offer a special challenge on this topic.
The purpose of the challenge is to encourage the community to work on a
set of specific software solutions and research questions and to
continuously improve on earlier results obtained for these problems over
the years.  We are providing a set of test videos on the workshop
website (duration 2-3 minutes) and separate text files with the
corresponding gaze data for which solutions for semi- and
fully-automatic software solutions for the recognition and tracking of
objects over the whole video sequence shall be written. The software
should provide the coordinates for the tracked objects and use this
information to automatically calculate object specific gaze data, such
as number of fixations and cumulative fixation durations. There are no
restrictions on the way in which the relevant objects are marked and on
which kind of techniques can be used to track the objects. The only
constraint is that your software solution can read and process the
provided videos and reports gaze specific data for the selected objects
either as a text file (which can serve as input for a statistical
program such as SPSS, Matlab, R oder MS Excel) or by providing some kind
of visualization.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Detailed information on the participation and a description of all
necessary steps can be found on the workshop website
(see:
http://saga.eyemovementresearch.com/challenge/howto-participate-in-the-challenge/).
Additionally, you can now find an explanation of the manual annotation
procedures which we will be used to evaluate the submitted software
solutions for the
challenge(http://saga.eyemovementresearch.com/challenge/videomaterial/).
In order to access this page, you first must register for the challenge
(see:
http://saga.eyemovementresearch.com/challenge/register-for-the-saga-challenge/).
***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

All submissions will be evaluated by an independent jury according to
the evaluation criteria (see Workshop Website). Additionally, there is a
live session scheduled for the third day in which all selected solutions
can be demonstrated to the interested workshop participants. The three
best solutions will receive an award.

Prize money:

1. Price: 1,000,- €
2. Price: 500,- €
3. Price: 250,- €

We would like to thank our premium sponsor SensoMotoric Instruments
(SMI) for the contribution of prize money and test videos recorded with
SMI's mobile eye tracking  glasses (www.eyetracking-glasses.com).

We would also like to thank our sponsor Tobii Technologies for
supporting the live demo workshop session and for the provided Tobii
Glasses
(http://www.tobii.com/en/eye-tracking-research/global/products/hardware/tobii-glasses-eye-tracker/)
test videos.

Please Note: All challenge participants must register separately at
http://saga.eyemovementresearch.com/challenge/register-for-the-saga-challenge/
for access to the challenge material and the video download.

========================================================================================================================================================

SAGA 2013 Workshop Organising Committee:

Workshop Organisers: Kai Essig, Thies Pfeiffer, Pia Knoeferle, Helge
Ritter, Thomas Schack and Werner Schneider. All from Bielefeld
University, Germany
Scientific Board: Thomas Schack, Helge Ritter and Werner Schneider
Jury of the Challenge: Kai Essig, Thies Pfeiffer, Pia Knoeferle and
Denis Williams (Sensomotoric Instruments, SMI).

Please visit the website periodically for updates
(http://saga.eyemovementresearch.com/about-saga/)
For additional question, please contact: saga at eyemovementresearch.com

We look forward to receiving your submissions and to welcoming you to
Bielefeld in October, 2013!

Dr. Kai Essig

"Neurocognition and Action - Biomechanics"- Research Group
Faculty of Psychology and Sport Sciences /
Center of Excellence "Cognitive Interaction Technology"
Bielefeld University
Postfach 100 131
33501 Bielefeld, Germany
Phone: 0049- 0 521-106-6057