[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] HRI 2014 Workshop on Socially Assistive Robots for the Aging Population

Jenay Beer jbeer at cse.sc.edu
Thu Dec 5 12:44:42 PST 2013

Call for Position Statements

HRI 2014: full-day workshop on

Socially assistive robots for the aging population:
Are we trapped in stereotypes?

http://workshops.acin.tuwien.ac.at/HRI2014_Elderly/index.html

03 March 2014, Bielefeld, Germany

Robots caring for the older population in care facilities and at home is an
ongoing theme in HRI research. Research projects on this topic exist all
over the globe in the USA, Europe, and Asia. All of these projects have the
overall ambitious goal to increase the well-being of older adults and to
enable them to stay at home as long as possible. However, the recent Special
Eurobarometer 382 on “Public attitudes towards robots” revealed that the
wider public does not want robots to take care of the older population (even
if the wording of the question was questionable), subsequently in this
workshop we want to reflect whether the HRI community is trapped in
stereotypes when it comes to socially assistive robots for older adults.
Therefore we want to gather and compare findings from user needs analysis,
user evaluation studies, as well as interaction scenarios and
functionalities of existing care robots. Are our results suggesting similar
scenarios? Do older end users in all countries have similar needs and
desires when it comes to assistive robots? What are the challenges and
opportunities for future assistive robots (maybe for those we develop for
ourselves when we belong to the older population…) also on an ethical and
legal level? In this workshop we want to escape the stereotype trap what
socially assistive robots should do. Can socially assistive robots solve the
aging population problem on a societal and individual level? Are older
people in general technology opponents? Will robotic helpers be accepted in
the home as long as they pretend to be social actors?

Submissions
Workshop candidates are requested to send a position statement (no longer
than 4 A4 pages, min 800 words) before 10th of January about a research on
HRI and the aging population to astrid.weiss at tuwien.ac.at.

Topics:

•	Identified user needs and desires of older adults at home and in care
facilities
•	Requirements and constraints of socially assistive robots for older adults
•	Functionalities and interaction scenarios of socially assistive robots for
older adults
•	Moral accountability and legal issues of care robots for the aging
population

All position papers must be submitted in PDF format and conform to
conference proceedings specifications for Late Breaking Reports and include
author names. All submissions will be peer-reviewed. Participants will be
selected on the basis of the relevance and comparability/ generalizability
of their work. Authors should send their papers to astrid.weiss at tuwien.ac.at

Important Dates

•	10 January 2014, Position paper submission
•	28 January 2014, Notification of acceptance
•	03 March 2014, Workshop at HRI 2014

Organizing Committee
•	Astrid Weiss (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
•	Jenay Beer (University of South California, USA)
•	Takanori Shibata ( National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
Technology, Japan)
•	Markus Vincze (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)