[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2014 IEEE Haptics Symposium: Call for Demos / Call for Student Volunteers

Peter Berkelman peterb at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 4 06:43:16 PST 2013

2014 IEEE Haptics Symposium, Februrary 23-26
http://2014.hapticssymposium.org

The Haptics Symposium showcases cutting-edge research on many topics in
robotics, including teleoperation, motor control, haptic device design and
dynamics, haptic rendering and modeling, dynamic control system design and
analysis, systems and networks involving haptic interaction, physical
human-robot interactions involving touch, and robotic touch sensing.  This
conference is under the technical and financial sponsorship of the IEEE
Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) and the IEEE RAS Technical Committee
on Haptics.

CALL FOR DEMOS:

The 2014 Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS) is now accepting submissions of
hands-on demonstrations.  Demonstrations are a crucial and popular
component of haptics conferences. Multiple demo and poster sessions will be
held at HAPTICS 2014 to enable greater sharing of developments in
haptics-related devices, software and human perception.

To submit a hands-on demonstration request or to receive additional
information, please go to:
http://2014.hapticssymposium.org/submit/demo-submissions

Key Dates:
December 15, 2013 – Demo submission deadline
January 5, 2014 – Demo notification
HAPTICS 2014 will be held on February 23-26, 2014, in Houston, Texas, USA.

HAPTICS is a premier forum for innovations in technology and applications
related to the human sense of touch, and to advances in our understanding
of haptic (touch) perception. Sponsored by IEEE's Robotics and Automation
Society and its Technical Committee on Haptics, HAPTICS brings together
psychophysicists, engineers and designers, and crosses boundaries between
the disciplines of robotic control and device design, psychology,
human-computer interaction and the emerging areas of touch and mobile
computing. Its single track format and comfortable but vibrant surroundings
make this symposium an ideal opportunity to network and learn.

Mark Colton and Greg Gerling
Demos, Posters & Exhibits Chairs
2014 Haptics Symposium
CALL FOR STUDENT VOLUNTEERS:

http://2014.hapticssymposium.org/attend/student-volunteer-information

The 2014 Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS) is now accepting submissions for
student volunteers. The HAPTICS Student Volunteer program is a great
opportunity for young researchers to familiarize themselves with haptics
research. It also allows enthusiastic students to establish and expand
their network with the most relevant academicians, professionals and other
students in the field.

Student Volunteers (SVs) are integral part of the success of a conference.
We are in the process of recruiting a team of reliable and enthusiastic
students who help us host and manage a successful, productive and enjoyable
conference. A wide range of responsibilities will be assigned to SVs, such
as:

Support at the Registration desks
Badge checks for technical sessions, workshops, demos, reception and dinner
Support at the Help desks
Help with setting up and maintaining demos, poster and other arrangements
Audio and video support
Helping hand for organizing committee

In general, no special skills are required except for one or two positions,
where we are looking for individuals with good photography, blogging, and
A/V skills.  Each volunteer is required to commit for about 12 hours spread
across the 4 days of the conference (February 23-26).

Benefits:

For their time and unmeasurable efforts, student volunteers will receive a
full student registration. This includes free access to the entire
conference, including technical sessions, workshops, demo and poster
sessions, reception and banquet.  Most importantly, student volunteers will
have this opportunity to expand their network and talk to individuals from
a broad range of academic and industrial background.

Student volunteers are responsible for their traveling and lodging expenses
during the conference days. Lunch will be provided to volunteers during
their workdays.

Requirements:

Applicants must be an undergraduate or graduate student during the
2013-2014 academic year. A valid, dated student identification card or a
letter from your university or school must be presented when registering at
the conference.

The individuals must have a positive "can do" attitude and have good
communication skills in English.

Volunteers are required to show up 5-10 minutes before their allotted
service times and be available to help out for unforeseen surprises, which
are difficult to predict.  We expect every volunteer to commit to a total
of about 11-12 volunteer hours of work at the conference (over 4 days). The
volunteers must plan to attend a subset of the conference to commit their
assignments spread across the conference days. We will try to distribute
responsibilities to accommodate volunteers’ travel dates and expect them to
perform their duties without a rush of changing their itinerary. If you
require a special exception to these arrival/departure times, please
contact us; only a small number of exceptions could be made.

Responsibilities and time allotment during the conference will be sent to
the volunteers a few weeks before the start of the conference, and
volunteers must plan to attend the orientation (February 26th) and meet
with the Student Volunteer Chairs sufficient time before their first
assignment.

Application Deadline: Saturday, January 4, 2014

Please complete the online Student Volunteer Application Form to be
considered as a student volunteer. After submission, you will receive an
acknowledgement page. We expect to receive more applications than we need,
so early application is encouraged. However, we will make a waiting list so
do not be discouraged if you apply close to or after the deadline. If you
have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email.

Sincerely,
Mounia Ziat and Ozkan Celik
Student Volunteer Chairs
2014 Haptics Symposium