[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Clearpath Robotics: Open Source Support Engineer

Ryan Gariepy rgariepy at clearpathrobotics.com
Mon Dec 9 13:11:28 PST 2013

Position:               Open Source Support Engineer
Location:              Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Experience:          Previous experience with ROS/Gazebo required
Education:            Undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field

About Us:
Clearpath Robotics Inc. specializes in the design and manufacture of
unmanned vehicle systems, software, and components for academic and
industrial research and development.  Our clients range from small
local businesses to some of the best known technical institutions on
the planet.  Based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Clearpath Robotics employs
highly talented people who live and breathe robotics.  We believe that
work must have a high “cool” factor, and we’re looking for people who
share in our passion to create remarkable products and change the
world.

About the Job:
We are expanding our Research Products division to the point where we
are starting to support ROS on products developed by other
organizations. We need people who are passionate about giving back to
the growing open-source robotics community, from making demo videos to
developing low level drivers. If you’d like to be a part of how ROS is
changing everything from education to corporate research, this is
where you should be!

You will keep our software up-to-date with the current ROS and OS
releases, whether by working with our product team, external
suppliers, or by writing the code yourself. This will range from
high-level demo development on frameworks such as MoveIt! to
maintaining distributions of LinuxRT. You will liaise with other
members of the global robotics community to improve the general
usability of ROS. A majority of your work if not all of your work will
be public and open-source. You are already familiar with ROS and
Gazebo. You will work with other members of our engineering team to
identify closed-source development which is suitable for public
release. You may be involved in outreach programs both locally and
globally, and will provide technical backup for our support team.
Finally, you'll likely spend warm summer days driving robots around
outside (cold winters too; this is Canada after all).

Your primary responsibilities will be:
ROS driver and demo development
ROS and OS distribution maintenance
2nd level product support

Additional tasks may include:
ROS usability improvements
Local and global outreach via hack days and conferences
Closed-source to open-source transfer

About You:
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge.
You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never
satisfied with a project left half-done.  You want to be surrounded by
people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their
work.  You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you
thrive on challenging and rewarding problems.   Oh, and you have some
form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.

Required Experience/Skills:
Degree in engineering/CS or a related field, with applicable background
Extensive ROS and Gazebo experience
Strong software development skills (C, C++, Python preferred)
Proficiency with Linux and Linux networking
Good written communication
Demonstrated contributions to open-source software
Comfortable with abrupt changes to project deadlines, job
responsibilities and the local gravity field

Bonus points for:
Experience with any Clearpath products
Experience with developing for manipulation systems (Baxter, PR2,
Universal Robots, JACO, etc…)
Experience with the ROS perception and navigation pipelines
Experience with indoor aerial systems
Ability to diagnose broken robots by their sounds and smells
Experience with real-time Linux
Experience with automated build systems

Apply:
Apply through our online job portal using this link:
http://jobsco.re/1jFfaEP. Please submit cover letter along with your
resume. Please include “Open Source Support Engineer” in the subject
of any further communications. If your skills don’t fit this job
description, but you’re still interested in working with us please
apply to our “General Robotics Enthusiast” position. No recruiters or
form cover letters, please. They do not please our mechanical masters.