[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] PhD Fellowships in the domain of Artificial Perception :: Bayesian Multimodal Perception - University of Coimbra:: Institute of Systems and Robotics

João Filipe Ferreira jfilipe at isr.uc.pt
Wed Dec 11 06:12:11 PST 2013

PhD Fellowships in the domain of Artificial Perception :: Bayesian
Multimodal Perception

Two position for PhD fellowships are open for the BAMBI project
(Bottom-up Approaches to Machines dedicated to Bayesian Inference),
funded by the European Commission under the FET Project - FP7-ICT-2013-C
- see the abstract of the project below. The fellowships include,
besides regular stipend, work insurance and Social Security payments,
PhD tuition fees and a yearly fund for other research expenses. For more
information on the project and the position, please read the text
transcribed below and/or send an e-mail to: Jorge Lobo
(jlobo at isr.uc.pt),  Jorge Dias (jorge at isr.uc.pt) or João Filipe Ferreira
(jfilipe at isr.uc.pt).

PhD Scientific area:

Electronic Engineering and Computer Sciences - Robotics and Automation

Prerequisites:

A MSc degree (5 years of University Studies) in
Electrical/Electronic/Biomedical Engineering or Computer Science.
Preference is given to candidates with academic background with a MSc
thesis experience in digital computer hardware or programmable digital
devices or distributed computing.

Work plan:

The Candidates will ensue PhD Studies on computational theory  with
experiments of probabilistic computation. The research will study
probabilistic computation following two major axes: algebra and
reconfigurable hardware. The activities will be in coordination with the
Project Team at University of Coimbra ensuring the successful
implementation of the aims of the BAMBI project (Bottom-up Approaches to
Machines dedicated to Bayesian Inference).

Location:

The studies and academic training will be executed at the University of
Coimbra with support of the Mobile Robotics Laboratory
(http://mrl.isr.uc.pt) from the Institute of Systems and Robotics
(http://www.isr.uc.pt). The activities will be under the scientific
advising of Dr Jorge Dias and Dr Jorge Lobo, with support of Dr. João
Filipe Ferreira. The research activities may include short academic
visit periods at other partners  within the BAMBI project consortium in
France and Belgium.

Temporal span:

The Fellowship corresponds contract expectedly starting in January 2013,
and conditionally renewable for an additional three year period
depending on the Candidate's performance. The contract include an
initial probation period of *six (6) months before it becomes
effective*.

Summary of the project:

We propose a theory and a hardware implementation of probabilistic
computation inspired by biochemical cell signaling. We will study
probabilistic computation following three axes: algebra, biology, and
hardware. In each case, we will develop a bottom-up hierarchical
approach starting from the elementary components, and study how to
combine them to build more complex systems. We propose Bayesian gates
operating on probability distributions on binary variables as the
building blocks of our probabilistic algebra. These Bayesian gates can
be seen as a generalization of logical operators in Boolean algebra. We
propose to interpret elementary cell signaling pathways as biological
implementation of these probabilistic gates. In turn, the key features
of biochemical processes give new insights for innovative probabilistic
hardware implementation. We propose to associate conventional
electronics and novel stochastic nano-devices to build the required
hardware elements. Combining them will lead to new artificial
information processing systems, which could, in the future, outperform
classical computers in tasks involving a direct interaction with the
physical world. For these purposes, the BAMBI project associates
research in Bayesian probability theory, molecular biology, nanophysics,
computer science and electronics.

On behalf of BAMBI project’s team at the University of Coimbra

João Filipe Ferreira, PhD

Invited Assistant Professor

Mobile Robotics Lab • Institute of Systems and Robotics
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department • University of Coimbra
Pinhal de Marrocos • Pólo II • 3030-290 COIMBRA • PORTUGAL
Tel.: +351 239 796 303
E-mail: jfilipe at isr.uc.pt
http://www2.isr.uc.pt/~jfilipe