[robotics-worldwide] Multiple Robotics Positions at iRobot
ben at benaxelrod.com
Tue Feb 26 06:32:09 PST 2013
iRobot has a number of openings for robotics engineers. Please apply
through our website. For more info on iRobot careers, see
http://www.irobot.com/us/Company/Careers.aspx. Selected principal-level
positions are listed here. For a full listing of current openings, please
Principal Engineer, Human Robot Interaction - 1711
The Principal HRI Engineer acts as a user advocate on new product
development teams, ensuring that operation of iRobot products is intuitive
and enjoyable. The successful candidate will be responsible for gathering
user needs, developing product ergonomic and usability requirements,
designing and testing user interfaces while applying the latest techniques
in human-robot interaction. Primary product markets relate to autonomous home
maintenance, tele-presence, and unmanned ground vehicles for defense
*Essential Functions/ Job Duties:*
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team of
marketing, industrial design, user experience, program management,
hardware, software & systems engineering to develop highly usable robotic
systems that delight the customer.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify
business and user needs. Communicate results to interdisciplinary project
teams through well written system and subsystem requirements.
- Lead the overall development of the robotic user interface for all
aspects of use, including setup, cleanup, maintenance, etc.
- Support user research to identify user types and design target user
- Bring strong creative, conceptual and problem-solving skills to
translate conceptual ideas (business goals and user needs) into user
interaction and design solutions.
- Access data from multiple sources (ergonomics / human factors
standards & guidelines, user studies, product requirements, technical and
project constraints) and synthesize into front-end design artifacts
(mission descriptions, use cases, concept of operation, system
- Apply knowledge of human-robot interaction, usability, human factors,
and effective user interface design to assure exceptional user experience
with the product.
- Conduct competitive product assessments and perform heuristic reviews.
- Create and effectively present deliverables (wireframes, workflows,
prototypes, etc.) to explain and negotiate design solutions to key
- Simulate and/or mock up prototype robot interfaces to clarify and
develop design intent user interaction experiences. Work closely with
internal and external usability specialists throughout development process
to verify user needs are being achieved.
- Actively lead and/or support cross-functional design reviews for
systems and subsystems that impact the user experience
- Degree(s) in Human Robot Interaction, Human Computer Interaction,
Human Factors Engineering, Usability Engineering or a relevant BS/MS degree
with a concentration in human interaction/human factors.
- Minimum 10 years of experience applying various HRI, HFE and Usability
principles and methodologies to the design, development, and evaluation of
- Proven track record in the physical and behavioral aspects of human
factors including research, analysis, and usability testing.
- Experience writing engineering specifications, especially related to
- Ability to prepare and effectively present high quality technical
documentation to engineering, marketing, and senior leadership teams.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio and PowerPoint
- Infrequent travel (<10%). Overseas travel for user study participation
may be needed.
- Strong interpersonal, team building, organizational, prioritization,
oral and written technical communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervision
in a fast-paced, matrix-managed environment, with evolving (and sometimes
ambiguous responsibilities, priorities and constraints.
- Experience leading usability teams across multiple projects
- Familiar with relevant ergonomic and usability standards.
- Social and cognitive psychology.
- Mobile robotic platform development.
- Experience working with rapid prototyping
methods to bring user interface concepts to a functional level.
- High-volume consumer electronics development from concept through
debug and into production.
- Industrial design process and methods.
- Failure avoidance methods, including DFMEA.
- Agile Software development process
- Design mock-up and rapid prototyping methods,
such as Objet, SLA, SLS, FDM, machine shop usage.
- Floor care product design, especially
battery-powered portable vacuum cleaning systems.
- DOORS requirement management software.
- PDM usage, especially with PTC’s Windchill v9.1
- 3D CAD, especially PTC’s ProEngineer and/or
- Microsoft Project and SharePoint
Principal Robotics Engineer - 1691 / 1710
iRobot is the leader in the design and development of practical robotic
systems. Typical projects are engineering intensive, rapid development jobs
targeted at consumer customers. Ideal candidates will work in a
state-of-the-art software environment and will work closely with system
engineers, hardware engineers and other groups to implement the
next-generation robotics technologies. Expertise needed in C, Real-time
Operating Systems (Linux, others), Navigation and Autonomy. Candidates must
possess broad skills which reach into systems, mechanical and electrical
fields to design robotic solutions that make sense and delight our
*Essential Functions/ Job Duties:*
- Create robotic solutions with a strong customer focus
- Design & develop innovative robot software for consumer robots
- Interface with a dynamic, multidisciplinary team
- Focus on simple, cost effective solutions
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, or equivalent extensive experience;
- Minimum 10 years of design, development, and testing experience.
- Minimum of 5 years robotic experience
- Experience with SLAM
- Experience with embedded software architecture design & development.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with tools such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers.
- The ability to work on independent as well as team projects.
- Leadership qualities; proven track record of completing complex
projects on time.
- A willingness to quickly learn new skills, innovate new products and
contribute to a passionate and collaborative working team.
Familiarity with any of the following applications and technologies is a
- Robotics: control systems, navigation, manipulation, SLAM
- Mechanical CAD or simulation
- Communications: Ethernet, wireless, TCP/IP, VoIP, SIP.
- Linux, device drivers,
- Python, Lisp, C, C++
Again, please apply through our website: www.irobot.com
Sr. Robotics Software Engineer
8 Crosby Drive, M/S 8-1
Bedford, MA 01730
baxelrod at irobot.com
More information about the robotics-worldwide