[robotics-worldwide] robotics postdocs needed

Greg Trafton greg.trafton at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jan 11 07:35:46 PST 2013

The Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence
(NCARAI) at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in Washington DC is
looking for 1-2 roboticist postdocs to join our team.  Our team is
multidisciplinary and includes roboticists, cognitive scientists, and
computer scientists.

Our focus is primarily on human robot interaction from a computational
cognitive and social perspective.  Our current projects include a
firefighting robot, long-term learning, perception + context for human
robot interaction, and anticipation of people in robot teams.  We are
actively looking for postdocs who can help with any of these projects.
I will consider people with expertise in any area of mobile robotics,
though an open mind, an ability to work well in small and medium size
groups, and a strong publishing record are all required.

Our postdoc deadline is February 1, so please contact me immediately
(greg.trafton at nrl.navy.mil) if you are interested in becoming a
postdoc with us (a proposal is needed to apply).  Our postdoc
positions typically last for 2-3 years.  You must be a US citizen to
apply for this position.  Pay is ~75K; details about the postdoc
program itself are available at
http://hroffice.nrl.navy.mil/jobs/postdoc.htm and check out the NRC
postdoc program.

We have outstanding facilities and resources. Robot platforms include:
three MDS anthropomorphic robots (Octavia, Lucas and Isaac), each with
highly expressive heads and torsos with close to 50 DOF; ten ASCTEC
Pelican quadrotors; eight Pioneer platforms; an iRobot/RWI B21r; a
Segway robot; two RWI ATRV Jrs; and others. We also have a great
selection of sensors, from Swiss Rangers to Ladybugs.

Of particular excitement is our new 50,000 square foot facility, the
Laboratory for Autonomous Systems Research, which has unique
environmental high bays and laboratories for experimentation. The
hallmark is a 150x75x30 reconfigurable high bay, which will has
full motion capture coverage over the entire space, floodable areas
and many more features to support state-of-the-art research. Other
environments within our new facility include: a live-growth tropical
rain forest; a desert environment with rock walls; a littoral
environment (which includes a 25 x 50 pool with an adjustable slope
on one end and wave generators on the other end for creating surf
conditions); and an outdoor highland forest environment with water
features and "box canyons" built out of boulders. Our new machine shop
is very well equipped and includes plastic prototyping machines and 3D
printers.

For more details about our research:
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/aic/iss/aas/poc-trafton.php

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/aic/iss/aas/CognitiveRobots.php