[robotics-worldwide] Postdoc Position in Aerial Robotics at Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute

Sanjiv Singh ssingh at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 21 08:58:09 PST 2013

The Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon is seeking a highly qualified postdoctoral researcher in the area of aerial robotics.

We seek outstanding researchers in the areas of perception, estimation, planning and guidance as relates to aerial robots
at various scales.  Researchers with experience in bio-inspired flight are encouraged to apply.  We expect candidates to
conduct independent research and to contribute to ongoing projects. Successful candidates will have expertise with real
robotic  systems as  well as keen programming skills.  Candidates will have the opportunity to  work with graduate students.

Qualified applicants holding a PhD degree should provide the following material:

1) Cover letter briefly describing their background and career plans
2) CV
3) Link to their research web-site
4) Date of availability
5) Names and contact information for at least two reference letters

All documents should be submitted via email to Sanjiv Singh (ssingh+pd at cmu.edu).

ABOUT AERIAL ROBOTICS AT THE ROBOTICS INSTITUTE, CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY

The Robotics Institute has been active in aerial robotics in the areas of mapping, collision avoidance, motion planning,
terrain analysis, state estimation and flight control. In 2010, we demonstrated the first fully autonomous flight of a
full-sized helicopter(http://bit.ly/cOURhZ ).  We have current projects based on platforms at various scales
ranging from the sub-meter to full size aircraft,  including the development of autonomy for DARPA's flying car
program (http://bit.ly/9Vwgzw ).

The Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University was established in 1979 to conduct basic and applied research
in  robotics technologies relevant to industrial and societal tasks. Today, the Robotics Institute is a worldwide hub of
robotics research that encompasses a diverse array of topics. While much of our work relates to core robotics
technologies like manipulation, locomotion, and control, we also focus on related research areas, including
machine learning, computer vision, and graphics. There are over 500 faculty, staff, students, post-doctoral fellows
and  visitors at the The Robotics Institute.  More details at http://www.ri.cmu.edu