[robotics-worldwide] Robotics engineer position in Paris, France

Jean-Baptiste Mouret mouret at isir.upmc.fr
Sun Jan 27 12:57:56 PST 2013

The ISIR (Paris, France) is seeking a robotics/mechanical engineer for developing mobile, wheel-legged robots. The position is available immediatly.

Thanks to a recently awarded grant, our team is developing innovative algorithms to allow robots to adapt autonomously to unforeseen situations (mechanical failures, radical changes of the ground surface, etc.). In the framework of this project, we are seeking a robotic engineer who will have in charge the design of new wheel-legged hybrid robots. This includes proposing mechanical solutions, CAD design, basic electronic design and interface with the ROS ``meta operating system''.

The ideal candidate will have a passion for robotics and beautifully designed robots. He will work closely with one associate professor, one PhD. student and one post-doc.

This is a one-year, full-time position starting in February/March 2013.

* Requirements
- MS in robotics (or French engineering school), mechatronics or equivalent field
- Demonstrated ability to design a full robot, from CAD design to interface with a computer

* Details
Please submit a resume, a cover letter and any supporting material (e.g. photos of designed robots) to mouret at isir.upmc.fr. Documents can be in French or in English.

* About the lab
Our group is focused on adaption and cognition for robots. It is part of the ISIR (Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems), one of the main robotics department in France, which is in the University Pierre and Marie Curie (UPMC). We are located in the center of Paris, France.

* About the project
The Creadapt project aims at harnessing both the creative and the adaptive abilities of evolutionary algorithms to power software that can autonomously and creatively adapt the behavior of robots to unforeseen situations. In the typical scenario, a mobile robot faces a situation that requires adaptation (e.g. a leg is broken or the ground surface changed). The robot launches a few experiments to investigate the situation; after a few minutes it should be able to cope with the new situation to pursue its mission until a new adaption is required. Our new algorithms will be demonstrated on wheel-legged hybrid robots because these robots can move in many different ways.

* Links
- http://www.upmc.fr
- http://isir.upmc.fr
- http://people.isir.upmc.fr/mouret